Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed from a regular tropical tank to a malawian cichlid tank about a year ago and used my 143 litre tank(below min requirements) and stocked it heavily,a year later the fish have grown and only the strongest have survived,the rest were picked on until they died.

I have now just got myself a 550 litre/145 gallon (130 x 65 x 65cm) tank.
I want to make 100% sure everthing is right for my malawians from the start.

The filtration is at the back of the tank where the different filter mediums are seperated by glass coloumns with water entering either over or under the glass colums.What would the correct l/h powerhead/s be to have the correct turnover rate?
Is 5500l/h turnover too much?

I know non-sharp gravel but is dark better than light coloured?
Was thinking 3 Flourescent globes for lighting with one of them being a blue light?
For the background was thinking of smearing marine silicone along the back then pouring on black fine sand and placing small random rocks on it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wouldn't do that business with the silicone on the back of your tank. If you hate it, you can't undo it. If your gonna do it "right" make a concrete background that you can make sure you like before attaching it to the tank. Paint the back of the glass, and do a real cycle. It will pay off.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts