Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He always did a good job of cleaning the glass (and unfortunately the nice green algae growing on a decoration as well). The last couple days I've noticed the glass is getting pretty dirty with brown algae and I have some nice green algae growing that would normally be eaten immediately.

I have a 7" Oscar, a 7" jag and a 5" jag in the tank. They have all been in there since juvies. Is it possible one of them ate him? I can't find him anywhere. :-?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
if he did not jump and he is not in the tank he either died naturally and got eaten or he was just eaten straight up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Seems a bit strange to me since none of the fish you have are really big and pleco have such thick armor, you may want to pull out some of your decor and make sure there is not a rotting pleco hiding somewhere.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi FbodyFan,

I agree with bpman25; make sure to check that there is not a decomposing pleco somewhere ruining your water quality.

In addition, look closely behind your tank/ around your tank; although not as common with plecos, if he was being chased by your cichlids he could have been chased into the corner and jumped, then flopped into a corner.

Lastly, I do not know the size of your pleco and the type of filtration intake, but I have found fish in some of my filters before (a danio actually lived in an AC110 for a few months).

If all those fail, he was probably eaten.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
291 Posts
OMG I was having the same problem! I could not find my pleco! So I just took a flashlight because I read this post and really looked behind the tank...... sure enough....I found him all dried up there. UGH! sad =(

·
Registered
116 Posts
better out than in ebjd, I do a quick count when I feed in the morning just to make sure everyone is looking good and accounted for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There isn't too much decor but I'll check again as I have to clean my tank anyway in the next day or 2. I did lift up the main log and he wasnt there. He certainly couldnt have gotten into my eheim and i highly doubt he could jump up into the outflow of my AC110 and swim up into it. Only other option would be jumping out but my tank is 99% covered. I have glass tops with the plastic strips on the back. Only opening on the tank is where is where the AC110 sits (not much extra opening on either side) and the intake and outflow of my ehiem. I will look around my tank just to be sure though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts