Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've got the following config and would like to add more color if not more fish friends to watch of the same species. Am I pushing it if I add to this mix?

Marineland 46 Euro (bow front) - 36"w x 16"d x 20"h
Rena Filstar XP3

3 x Labidochromis caeruleus
2 x Pseudotropheus Acei
2 x Synodontis eupterus

Thanks for any and all advice!

Bill

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I think the Acei and eupterus are already pushing it. I'd trade the Acei and one eupterus for 3 more labs and call it stocked.

When the eupterus matures a little he will probably need a bigger tank.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you wanted to add 2-3 Rusty, they are very peaceful and you'd add burnt orange and lavender to your color variety.

Or you could switch out the 3 labs for 6 Ps. saulosi and add black and blue to your list. There was a thread a while back about people having success keeping Saulosi in a 29 gallon.

People here will probably tell you that your tank is too small for acei so if you're not attached to your fish you could just do a complete restock and do: 3 Saulosi and 3 Rusty, that would give you 4 color patterns (black/blue male with lemon yellow female saulosi and burnt orange top and bottom with lavender side male with burnt orange female rusty) and they are all dwarf mbuna, giving you a better shot of success in a 3' tank.

Good choice with the XP3, I love that thing and it does a stellar job on the girlfriend's 55.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If the Acei reach a full 6" it will be too small. That would be my biggest concern.

IME, you can keep more fish in a 46G (I do), but you have to keep up on water changes and watch your mix carefully. I had Acei in mine, but moved them to my 75 as they grew out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts