Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! its been a long time since I've popped on by the forum. :) busy busy!

well, our fish load has dwindled some and we're contemplating getting a few more. We have a few acei's and a yellow lab and a couple of rusties left. we're thinking about getting something blue to add. What do you think would be best? socolofi? cobalt blue? or something else? something stripey and blue?

Oh, it is a standard 4 ft. 55 gal tank. thanks so much!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maingano wouldn't be a bad choice and I bet just about ever lfs around you had them so you wouldn't have to worry about tracking them down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats funny. right after I posted this I saw this recommendation for someone else and looked into it a little more and I am leaning towards it. How many do you recommend? do I need 8 or so so that I end up with the right m/f ratio in the end? I'm thinking about getting some more yellow labs as well since there is only 1 left.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You will probably want to end up with a little more than the 1m4f rule, but that will be most likely based on your discretion. In a 4' tank territory isn't an issue until you get to about 4. So you can buy one or two and see how you like them first but once you get up to four it's best to completely rearrange your rock work and destroy all the tunnels they've dug when you add more. Once you got to 4 then I would probably just add then in clumps of 4 until you have 12. Then worry about sexing and ratios.

Or you could just get 12 to begin with. At the right place they should be around $5 which makes them a steal compared to the color you get!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Call around to your LFS's and ask them if they would be willing to take in any extra males that will pop for store credit. Thats what I have been doing and found a little mom and pops store that is really good about helping people out in these types of situations. Plus they get em cheap so they will make money off of them so its a win win type of thing.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I ordered 6 from a popular online vendor (with a very apt name) and they are gorgeous and growing well. I think I ended up with 3-3. So I got 2-3 more, which I think are females but they're a bit small.

Right now they're doing fine in my 125, but I have a yellow lab & RZ that may be suffering since they're sub-dom males of their own species; haven't pulled them yet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My worst ratio I had was 4m1f. That looks like bad news right? Not even a fin nip. Granted that was luck and not long term before I got some females to help it out. But give them lots of rock work and you might find they end up being more worried about their dens they make and eating like a pig to worry about real violence. :lol: Just add them at least two at a time. I've had some problems with singular additions it dies down in about a week, especially if you change of your rocks before you add.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK... so I just got back from a dentist appt and they had an Mbuna tank!!! LOL!!! and of course I couldn't fill out my dumb paperwork because I couldn't keep my eyes off of the fish. so I REALLY liked the venustus and I didn't think I would! those are cool! they had what it looked like a cobue and something else as well. They had acei's (One was holding and the lady thougth it was cool when I showed her that it was holding babies :) ) so... it got me thinking. could I essentially do what they've done in their tank and have 2 of each type? or is that a recipe for disaster? what if I kept my labs (I actually miscounted and it looks like I have 3) and my rusties (miscounted again, I have 2) and my 3 aceis... and add a couple venustus and a couple of the maingano? is there room left in the tank? if so could I add another species of just a couple? or should some of these really have more than 2 at a time? the venustus they had it looked like they had a male and a few females. there were some other fish that I wasn't sure what they were (besides the red zebras and albino fish which looked like an albino red zebra?) the fish were very peaceful, you'd never know it was an aggressive type tank!

it also made me think that I would really like one of those cool rocky backdrops. they had that there and it looked really nice and the fish really seemed to like it and swam more at the whole height of the tank vs just the rock line like they do at my house.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
You might want to avoid maingano as well for a 55G...some members have been having trouble with them in a tank that size. They seem to do better in a 75G or larger with 1m:7f.

·
Registered
823 Posts
*** had nothing but issues with maingano in a 55g. Tried twice and made sure they were pure as well...

I would add more yellow labs and more rusties to round out the tank. Acei get pretty big, so ur prob good on 3. Ideally u would want 1:4-5 ratio, but yellow labs it doesnt matter as much. This mix is pretty standard and peaceful for a mbuna tank. If your feeling brave, another species possibly could work. I have kept 4 species in a 55g a few times with limited problems, but it depends on the mix. Maybe an afra, u mentioned u liked the cobue, why not try that?

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you brought it up to 5 labs, 5 rusty, 5 afra cobue, and the 3 acei that would be a good stock list.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
now, the cobue... the females.. I keep seeing different pictures, are they blue or are they brown? or are they both and have that iridescent sheen to them?

so does the 1:4 m/f ratio apply to these as well? if I end up with a couple males will they kill each other?

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Cobue females are not blue. 1m:4f would be good and multiple males are not likely to color up, but you can never be sure in advance.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
what about White Top Hara? Could those work with the current fish?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts