Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody get the Visitherm heater creep. where it cycles, but the tank gets hotter and hotter, so you turn the heater down. and it works ok for a few days, until the temperature starts creeping back up again. but the heater still is cycling.

It's an interesting failure mode, but for sure the heater is bad. I turned it down 5 degrees already. luckily its an undersized heater, so I see it before it gets past 82

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a 300w hydor doing the same thing. It worked normal for two and a half years, then started creepin up. It is now set at 74 and keeps the tank at 80. I'm glad you posted, you reminded me I have to replace it before I have fish soup

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Those heaters are definitely talking to you, I'd replace them asap. I've seen weird stuff like this too. Never a good sign.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you tear into the heaters and look at how the temperature is sensed it makes much more sense of what is happening. To me it is a design flaw of many (most?) heaters made for the mass market. Many of them have a bi-metal spring located in the heating tube. Each time the heater kicks on the air in the tube gets really hot really quickly as air heats very easily. The heat is then transfered through the glass walls to the water. Trouble is the spring that controls the temperature gets a lot of heat and at some point stops acting as a bi-metal spring should. Heat changes metal so if you have a tiny cheap little spring and heat it numerous times, it changes the way it works. Just not a reliable system that we have in that type heater. A heater with the temperature sensing probe outside the heater tube does not suffer from this fault. They will also cost more but that is where the decisions have to be made. Chaep now and replace or pay now and hope it lasts much longer.
I would suggest replacing the heater but before you throw it away, take it apart and see how it works and why it fails. It will help make you a more experienced[/i] consumer for the next time you need a heater.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked again, & yep, my visitherm creeped back up again in 2-3 days. But it's still cycling!

I use 2 heaters per tank, so I unplugged the other one just to see what this bad one does.
another situation where 2 smaller heaters saved my fish. They definately would have fried if I had one big heater.

Time to heater shop, and it won't be a Visittherm. (although this visitherm is at least 5 years old). I havn't been reading heater reviews lately, but I always get go for the new technology. Try it out, and see what they do.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I hope to start work on my fishroom soon, with heat/ac , air exchanger/dehumidifier, so hopefully I won't have to worry about heaters because the room will be controlled, not the tanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts