Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok purchased this fish about a month ago and it has got about an inch bigger since I got it. Can anyone positively id this one. When I purchased it the tag said red spotted cichlid. Any ideas? It's not the flowerhorn I know what that is. It pops up in the video a couple of times. Thanks everyone.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... EO0073.mp4

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would anyone know where I could find out? I looked in the profiles and couldn't really determine which one it was.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Agree. Its not a pure Central America Vieja I know of so flowerhorn blood getting into the species is the most likely explanation.
I think the other one in the vidio might be a pure Vieja but if got from the same sorce I would dought that too. There are a whole mass of different line bred flowerhorns these days and they have been bred with loads of other cichlids to try and produce new types that sell well.
Thats the prob with the flowerhorn crosses they are all over the place and make you dought all SA cichlids not from a good known sorce. Just call it a Heinze and folk will know what you mean. A LFS guy thats prob made up of 57 varieties. :wink:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right about the flowerhorn but I was referring to the other fish. :)

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Pop up a good photo mate and we will give it a bash. Trying to bare in mind its "label" I do not have high hopes. :wink:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I will see if I could get a pic of the shy bugger. The flowerhorn has been identified as a regular flowerhorn. The unidentified one was labeled "red spot cichlid". I will get one up as soon as the fish comes out. Thanks a bunch. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Food always does the trick. Here are the pics.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think it might be a young Paratheraps bifasciatus but I guess time will tell.

All the best James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts