Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Paratheraps bifasciatus

Is the the fish in the picture somewhere in the 2.5 to 4 inch size range? Looking I would guess 3 to 3.5 inches?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah Thats the one. Thanks guys. He was bout 3inch when i bought him and shot up to about 5 in a matter of weeks. Super aggressive guy. He is currently in a 50gal by himself while i wonder what to do with him. My lfs are normally great with ids but were way off on this one. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Adrian101 said:
yeah Thats the one. Thanks guys. He was bout 3inch when i bought him and shot up to about 5 in a matter of weeks. Super aggressive guy. He is currently in a 50gal by himself while i wonder what to do with him. My lfs are normally great with ids but were way off on this one. Thanks again guys.
It was Vieja before it was renamed Paratheraps and before Vieja it was Cichlasoma.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just bought a fish that looks EXACTLY the same. It was classified as "vieja Bifasciatum." The lfs called it a red spotted cichlid as the common name. I was just about to post to see if anyone else had one of these, and to get some information on it because there really isnt a lot of literature on the web.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine was marked up as a gold cheeked cichlid. Its growing pretty fast and is super aggressive towards anything. Its also happy to shred my plants all day lol. But its very interactive towards me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Adrian101 said:
I can't stress enough that unless your vieja/theraps/paratheraps comes from a reliable source/breeder or comes with a tag location there's no guarantee you're getting a pure fish.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i do understand this, and im not trying to sound like i dont appreciate all the help i get on this site, but its really hard to get pure bred fish in the uk without paying the earth. The only way is to buy wild caught ones and these cost a bomb like my acara. I have still never seen a pure bred Malawi in this country! Thats why i dont have any. Generally its a case of making do with what you can find. Bought this guy as he was in a tank with six identical fish that varied in size and he seemed healthy. Wish we had the commitment from fish dealers that you guys get. The biggest non custom made tank you can buy here is only a 100gal. Oh well. Rant over lol. And again Thankyou for all your help.

·
Registered
807 Posts
In Adrian’s picture you can see the red coming in the fins and I could see the distinct barring. At that size you will not see the red like that in any of the other Paratheraps/Vieja.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Bamboo said:
Will bifas get along with pearsi and argentea in a 125 or 150 gallon ?
Not likely.

Here's a chacamax:

A couple of tank raised:

And one sold as a bifas:

I think Adrian's are the Paratheraps Bifasciatus Rio Chacamax
Pure speculation. There's no real way to know unless he does some investigating. You cannot go by pictures. They are unreliable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts