Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've read that the males have more of a pronounced lyre-shaped tail than the females do. More of a strand or filament at the end versus more of a simple Y-shape for the females. That seems to be true in my tank where the three that are allowed near the fry are one larger w/ filaments and two smaller w/ Y-shaped tails telling me that they're 1m and 2 fm.

It was hard to tell in your video which type the more reclusive fish had, but if they're the same age that might be an indicator for you.

Nice tank BTW.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Norm66 said:
I've read that the males have more of a pronounced lyre-shaped tail than the females do. More of a strand or filament at the end versus more of a simple Y-shape for the females. That seems to be true in my tank where the three that are allowed near the fry are one larger w/ filaments and two smaller w/ Y-shaped tails telling me that they're 1m and 2 fm.

It was hard to tell in your video which type the more reclusive fish had, but if they're the same age that might be an indicator for you.

Nice tank BTW.
Hi thanks for your reply. I've also read about the tails but as their the same age I guess only time will tell as I can't tell the difference as of yet :thumb:

·
Registered
169 Posts
How big are your Brichardi's? I'm waiting for mine to breed. The male is about 2 1/2 inches and the female is about 2 inches.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was about to feed them and noticed them acting strange, then realised their behaviour was very protective so I had a look round the tank and noticed the eggs on the rock :)

It was hard to get a good focus on the eggs. but here's some footage:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hey, cool! I didn't get to see the eggs with mine, but I've had a blast watching my fry for the past week. They grow really quickly and get more adventurous all the time. Congratulations!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts