Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not familiar with too many victorian species but he looked nice for being only an inch and a half long or so. I picked him up for 3$ from a LFS who are fairly knowledgeable except the employee who I got yesterday( there are only two employee's the owner and his "friend") Anyway I have guesses but would prefer y'alls opinion.
Jordan
http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb409/groahjc/?action=view&current=ZO.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was one of my guesses, but the juvie I have doesnt have nearly the dominate black stripes that I have seen on others. Thanks rgr4475

·
Registered
623 Posts
its a haplochromis Sp. 44 Red fin. Another name for it is the hap "Thick skin" They are awesome, have 3 in my tank. Females are very colorful.

Edit: Never mind noticed it was only an inch. The coloration is consistent with adult red fins. However theyre more of a silver when juvi. Your ID is right. Cool fish, especially for 3 bucks!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I'm not sure what it is but it definitely is not Astatotilapia latifasciata (the red is in the wrong location) nor is it Hap sp. #44.

Give it some time to grow out a but more and check back here. My best guess at the moment might be Haplochromis (Xystichromis) sp. "Kyoga flameback" but that's far from certain.

Kevin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys and I'll post some updates later on down tenroad when he gets a little bigger

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd suggest you look through the profiles. The Hap #44 is the fish called Haplochromis obliquidens in the hobby.[/quote]

I had misspoken sorry I intended to write haplochromis sp 35. Must have been too bust not paying attention sorry :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts