Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 48" 55g that's been going now for a few months. Water quality is good, ph is good, temp is good. It's stocked with 5 cobalt, 4 yellow labs, 3 rusties, 2 demasoni. Many are colored up beautifully and getting better everyday. One thing has gone backwards though. They are very shy unless it's feeding time, which is once a day in the morning. As soon as I wake up they are all over the place waiting for food, but once that's over they all go to their little caves. This is odd to me, if you go to the LFS whenever anyone goes to the tank they all cluster around thinking they are going to be fed. Does this get any better? Did I create too many hiding places?

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could try removing some rocks and see if they are out and about more, or adding more fish. I have 18 Demasoni in a 55, 3 males and 15 females. They come out when they feel like it. Less rocks and they fight, more rocks and I never see them and I don't want more fish because it will upset the hierarchy they have established. Your experience will vary.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Newbie said:
You could try removing some rocks and see if they are out and about more, or adding more fish. I have 18 Demasoni in a 55, 3 males and 15 females. They come out when they feel like it. Less rocks and they fight, more rocks and I never see them and I don't want more fish because it will upset the hierarchy they have established. Your experience will vary.
How long has your tank been established?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
It can take a couple of months for the fish to get comfortable, so maybe you are just on the cusp. I would also remove the demasoni and add females to your other species groups.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've had my setup for 9 months and in the beginning, they all would scatter when I walked through the room. Now, it's mostly my yellow lab that does it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
Old Newbie said:
How long has your tank been established?
About a year for the Demasoni tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts