Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently placed 5 green terrors in my tank with 2 tiger Oscars and 2 jaguars. All are fairly young (3 inches max), but the Oscars and jags have been together for a few weeks with no issues other than establishing territories etc. The green terrors seemed to be doing fine, but today I noticed one swimming crazy. It almost seems like he's having a hard time using his anal fin. I saved him and put him into an isolation chamber because the jaguars saw he was weak and were about to attack. The fish store I bought this guy from has a return policy, so I'm tempted to bring him back... but if it's something as simple as maybe one of the bigger guys got ahold of him and he can heal, I would like to keep him. All 4 other green terrors are doing great. They are smaller than the one who is acting funny, but they don't try to mingle with the bigger fish like he did. My other fish are acting 100% normal...

Tank is 75 gallons (plans to go to 125‐150 within 3 months)
Temp is set to 80
Ammonia is 0
Ph is 6.8
Nitrate is about 30
Nitrite is between .5-1 (I put some seachem prime in to lower)
Kh is around 100
Gh is around 80

25% water changes and vacuuming are being done weekly
We feed 1/2 tsp of aqueon cichlid pellets twice a day. I feel like it's a little high, but no boating, they eat it up, and gravel isn't overly dirty.

Any help will be appreciated!

I can't get the video to upload, but here is a link: https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/lU2RdmWZ6brl

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi.. I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. Ma of ony things wrong here, but primarily you have a serious overstock,beyond your planned tank upgrade. Fish are mismatched. Jags are upper crust Central Americans and rest assured will kill all your other fish. If two males, soon enough you are down to one. You should seriously step back and do some quality research as to the needs and care of large territorial cichlids. What you are attempting will not work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent a decent amount of time trying to find compatible tank mates and appropriate tank size. I have seen videos with jaguars and Oscars living together. I'm open to learn, but I really don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I should consider a credible source. I figured video evidence of these fish living together peacefully seemed legit. The Oscars and jags get along great (up until this point lol). I chose the green terrors because once again, I found articles and videos that they were compatible.

My point in all this being... I'm asking for help with a specific problem. If you hold an opinion that there are larger problems, I would benefit more from solutions rather than just a list of problems, as would the fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
The problem with videos is you don't know the reputation of the fishkeeper (unless you are looking at a website of someone you know or know of from books published or paid expert speakers on your species. You also don't know how long those fish have lived in peace together...two minutes before the photo or two years. Avoid vendors as a source of info because you can't know if their recommendations have anything to do with making a sale.

The cookie cutter tanks in the Cichlid-forum Library (Quick Reference) says one Jaguar per 75G tank. I don't know new world cichlids, but Oscar6 does so he is a good source of advice.

Maybe choose one of the fish you have and rehome the rest? Then between now and when you get the 125G you can research what might work in a 125G together.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A piece of advice that floats around the cichlid world is to stock any tank according to the eventual adult size of the fish. Planned tank upgrades are always good intentions, but sometimes don't come to fruition. My last male Jag was just a tick over 17 ins. I have had, and still have Oscars well over a foot long. Let's assume that all your fish reach adult size, and survive each other. I would suggest a suitable tank would be 10 feet long and 600 gallons. Look up on YT a fellow that goes by Guapote Mel. He has two such tanks, among others, and is maybe the world's foremost expert on Parachromis, Amphilophus and other large cichlid species. I also suggest you source a book called The Cichlid Aquarium by Paul Loiselle. Many consider it the Bible of cichlid keeping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both for the advice. I ordered a few books to read over. I will clearly need to push up getting my next, larger tank. With you saying a 600 gallon tank would be needed for the jags, I may have to rehome them...

Again, thanks for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts