Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share a quick story with you. I have a 100 gallon aquarium and I have a JD Male, JD Female, Oscar (Unknown), Texas (Male) and a Midas (Male) in there.

My Midas and Texas have formed an unlikely coalition which has been very entertaining to watch. I have an issue when cleaning my tank with my Midas trying to attack my arm so whenever I do a deep clean I always catch him in a net and pin it to the side for 20 minutes or so.

I went to wash some new ornaments and came back 15 minutes later to find that the Carpintis was digging his friend out of the trap. He dug a small hole at the bottom and the Midas squeezed out perfectly. I couldnt believe that he was doing that. They are both definately males and are both constantly working together with everything. One will chase away while the other eats and then they will swap duties.

Has anyone else ever seen an unlikely coalition of the same gender of fish?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi marinerm10,

That is quite funny and strange; thank you for sharing this odd behavior.

How do you know they are both males?

How large are the cichlids?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I'm thinking you male midas is a girl... Namely because male texas will spawn with anything, even new pieces of decor!

How large is the midas?
How large is the texas?

I suspect this because males will simply noyt tolorate each other once mature... Especially in a 100 gallon tank. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the eternal problem with relying on other peoples information lol. This was sold to me at around 4 - 5 inch and was considered a male but I guess it could be a female after all. It is 6 inch now but still looks like a baby. It doesn't even look like an adult yet.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
marinerm10 said:
Well the eternal problem with relying on other peoples information lol. This was sold to me at around 4 - 5 inch and was considered a male but I guess it could be a female after all. It is 6 inch now but still looks like a baby. It doesn't even look like an adult yet.
I assume you're refering to the midas... In my opinion still too small to sex... But I'm not very good at sexing midas...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I am referring to the Midas - which I am now pretty certain is a female....it is guarding a nest site but no sign of any eggs yet. I am removing them tomorrow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet your so tired of people making those mistakes ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.