Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Venustus cichlid not sure male or female but it is approximately three and a half inches and I've had it since it was 1 inch about 9 months ago. Eight other cichlid tank mates about same size most half in smaller. The tank has been up and running for 9 months I do a water change 30% every 2 weeks and 10% water change just vacuuming debris every week. This is the first cichlid that has gotten sick in this tank since I've had it running. I pre-mix the water with tap water conditioner and use regular ammonia remover filters and cichlid salt.

The cichlid is being picked on heavily and has frayed tail and left fin. I cannot tell whether there was white spots on his body it looks more like just scales being picked up by other fish. He is not eating much and staying at the bottom of tank swimming at an angle.

Not sure what is wrong please help here are some pictures.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

What are the dimensions of the tank? What are the species/genders of the tank mates? What are your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The marks on the body are scratches from being bitten during the fighting. The problem is that a fish can easily pick up infection when the slimecoat on the body and fins is damaged like that. And the fish will also be quite stressed from the fighting and being chased around the tank.

Is there one particular fish causing this damage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also the fish staying at the top or bottom of the tank at an angle is a sign that the fish is being bullied. Not sure why they do this but seems that it is trying to hide or not appear as a threat to the more dominant fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts