Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Standard 6ft 125 gallon tank. What is the possibility of successfully keeping breeding groups of Venustus, Moorii and Borleyi? Or maybe a Red Empress or Taiwan Reef group instead of the Borleyi?

Is this a recipe for heartache?

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Not sure about the group but, if it were me, I would certainly replace the Borleyi with Red Empress. I always found my Borleyi males to be hyper-aggressive and the females are no pushover either.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
Huh, I always thought the empress was more aggressive. And the borleyi females are attractive as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From my experience:

My Borleyi is a gentle giant. He’s bigger than everyone else, and is a confident tank boss. He never overdoes it, but everyone knows he’s boss.

My red empress also has a good temperament, he occasionally tries to move up the pecking order, but accepts his place without any ongoing fights.

I don’t think either of them are overly aggressive. I’ve had a 2 inch yellow lab chase the Borleyi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Interesting thoughts on the Borleyi. I kept my group in a 90 and am thinking, now, that I must have added to the aggression by crowding them.

Definitely a nice looking Hap, regardless. Hope I didn't derail this thread. :cautious:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts