Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Venustus and Z-rock about 4" long now. I see a very very slight hint of blue on the venustus gills and the scales of the z-rock. Does this mean they are males? Can a female have a hint of blue on any part of their body?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? =\ Let me rephrase the question more generally. If there is any visible hint of color on a 3-4" african cichlid, can we assume it is a male?

·
Registered
210 Posts
For the haps the females usually look pretty drab but I think for venustus they are blue, male looks like a giraffe.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
A Z Rock Lithobates should color up sooner, 4" is adult for them while 4" is still immature for Venustus.

Shine a flashlight on the fish, look for shiny blue in the cheeks and the dorsal fin. Both of these fish start to get a yellow blaze early, a least a trace, with males before they color up fully.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zrock should be way more colored up at 4inches than what you are describing for a male. My only other thought would be possibly bigger more dominant in tank males keeping his colors down (if it is in fact a male)? Agreed with the venustus 3 inches is honestly too small to tell sex unless you're a pro at venting and still at 3" it's probably tough to tell. Probably didn't help much but that's my 2 cents lol

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Agree, the lithobates tends to be a timid hap and if intimidated by tank mates, may not show his best colors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts