Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 young venustrus that I bought recently hoping to get a male and female. Both of these fish are less than 4 inches long with the smaller one being less than 3 inches. They both also show some blue on their face. I would believe they are both males because of this. Can females have the blue color also or not?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Only males should have blue on the face . Also if you are looking to breed its best to get multiple females if you only have one female he will problably chase and stress her out .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not gonna breed with two males now am I? lol. Oh well. they are beautiful fish anyway and will end up being the centerpiece of the tank as they will be the largest in a short time. Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yep those are males. However you could probably trade a male for a couple females. Reason I would is one male will become dominant and one sub and will obtain female coloration and still may be aggression problems. I have 7 growing out, going to keep 1m 2f.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also depending on the size of your tank two males might not work either as they get mature they tend to get meaner .They are one of my favorite haps but I had to get rid of my male because he wouldnt let me add any new fish to my tank .I have read that its best to keep haps either all male or a breeding group with 1 male and 3 females .If you keep a all males tank they need not to look alike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my tank is 75 gallons and I have 2 peacocks and 2 vc-10s in with them as well. Right now there is 1 vc-10 that rules the tank with one of the peacocks running a close second in command. Everyone is under 4 inches at this point though. I find it interesting that the fish primarily chase their own species around the tank and dont bother the others too much. The venustrus are the most peaceful fish in my tank right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its temporary. Im going to build a larger tank tank over the summer. I figured i have a little time to let em grow before I needed a bigger home for them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How big do the VC-10s get? I was told about 6 inches when I purchased them. I was also told the venustrus were peacocks and get 6 inches too. So much for going to a local aquarium store to get advice on fish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
**** that shop owner. I had a peacock bass too but it dies from ick after less than 2 weeks. I got a second venustrus to replace it. I had no idea the VC-10s would get that big as well. I may need to reconsider my tank plans. I was going to build a 140 gallon tank that had a 54 x 24 footprint. I may need more. What do you think?

·
Registered
162 Posts
shellies215 said:
For venustus, I would recommend a 6ft tank at the least. They are super fast swimmers and tend to get injured in smaller tanks.
+1
You are definitely going to want atleast a 72" tank for the Venustus and the VC-10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts