Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi cichlid lovers,

Today when i did a water change i decided to catch my yellow labs to try to determine what sex they actually, because for some reason they just won't breed for me.

Bare in mind that i have never attempted venting so i may be way off.

The first 2 i caught i saw 2 tiny tubes about 2mm apart about the size of a pin head. Both sets of tubes were very noticable and the reproductive tube was about the same size as the anus on both fish. I am assuming that these 2 guys are males?

The other 2 i couldn't really see much at all. I know for sure that 1 of these is female, and her as well as the other 1's reproductive section looked very similar (because i couldn't see much but blur). The anus was very visible but i couldn't really see anything else. Would i be correct in assuming that these 2 are females?

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've not had any experience with venting but from what I've read, the female's vent should be larger than the anus where as the male's are about the same size.

So it is quite likely then that the first two are indeed males.
How big are the fish? Are they juvies or full adults?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 of the possible males and the definate female are adults. I have had the female for more then a year and she is pretty big and the possible male is bigger then her again.
The other 2 would mature, borderline adults.

Note: with both the possible females i could only see a vent when i applied a small amount of pressure on their bellies. I'm sure this not recommended procedure but on both fish their little vent protuded a few mm's out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts