Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience ordering assorted mbunas from online vendor? I am interested in an mbuna tank. Just getting my 125 cycled and was thinking of ordering like 30-40 assorted mbuna online. This is honestly a financial reason, it's just so much cheaper to order assorted than picking species. What are people's thoughts on ordering assorted from this site, or any site that offers it

·
Registered
449 Posts
The moderators are probably going to edit your title/post as refering to vendors by name is not allowed. As for buying "assorted" Mbuna on line, I would not do it. You will likely get shipped a bunch of fish that won't get along over time. Much better off picking species that have similar temperament and don't look alike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying this from experience or are you speculating?
most of the websites online that sell assorted cichlids state they will send an assortment of species that are compatible with each other

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Damandan44 said:
most of the websites online that sell assorted cichlids state they will send an assortment of species that are compatible with each other
This is just a very bad idea. You will get common mass market fish that you can get at Petmart or even Walmart, and many of those common fish grow up to be ugly and very aggressive. That is not a specialty site, they have no expertise far as one can tell, their pics don't even match some of the names. If you are interested in the fish, pick a few species you want and build the tank around those fish.

Also, adding 30-40 fish at one time can lead to a disaster water quality wise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Other people on this site have done it and then posted they were mad about the selection they got (just read the reviews section).

Every place is different. I shopped at that place for some plants and they were good, but I don't trust any place to send me a 'grab bag' and hope for the best.

If you are a beginner just get two species, and make sure that the males don't look like each other and the females don't either. And get ones where the females also look good. So you could get some kenyi and auratus for more aggressive active tank, or some yellow labs and rusties for a more friendly tank. From there you can add in more. I would not get a whole bunch at once because you may not like them all and it is hard to avoid bad pairings that way.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Damandan44 said:
Agree, read the horror stories from people who have done this.

Half the fun of fish keeping is choosing your species. Why let someone else have YOUR fun?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I went with a recommended breeder and am happy I did. The prices were consistent with my LFS but the shipping was pretty crazy. Basically it doubled the actual cost of the fish. I just looked at what an assorted order would have cost me and yes it's about $30 less for my order of 15 fish, but I have no doubts in the quality of my fish.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There is one place that has 45 dollar shipping (free if it's over 300 dollar purchase though!). That is pretty ridiculous. Overall I kinda dislike everything about that place anyhow, even when I watch the guy making youtube videos he seems like a complete idiot.

I try to get stuff locally but sometimes I use aquabid (not sure if it's OK to mention that place or not). I usually get OK results but shipping is usually kinda high, and there are also some people there I would avoid ordering from, too, especially some of the fish stores who put up 'auctions' on all their stock you could just purchase normally.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I find the price of online fish are much less than LFS fish and when you add the shipping it's still cheaper. AND you get high quality fish and have a good variety to choose from.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
I find the price of online fish are much less than LFS fish and when you add the shipping it's still cheaper. AND you get high quality fish and have a good variety to choose from.
What online vendors have you had luck with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts