Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 40 gallon breeders both are planted. In the one I have 12 cherry barbs 2 dwarf rainbows, 1 angel fish, a cory and 2 bnp. The other tank is empty. I have the possibility of getting a pair of vejita reds that I would place in the established aquarium. Is there anything I should be too worried about with these guys? Could I get away with 2 pearl goramis too or is that pushing it.

In the other aquarium I'd like to put in a electric blue acara as the center piece fish, what would be a good community around it and could I also put a pair of keyholes in there?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Yes, you could stock with the pair of Vejita Red Apistos in the 40 breeder. But, that established, 3-foot long tank seems a little 'stuffed' to me. And, I've always felt that Apistos looked their best when featured as a single male kept with a 3 or 4 female harem around him. But, to each his own I suppose. There is no way I'm gonna recommend keeping a pair of Pearl Gourami's in with any pair of spawning cichlids. :roll:
-
As for the Electric Blue Acara (EBA)? I'd pull your Angelfish outta the Apisto-featured aquarium and place it and the EBA together, for just the two of them. If the goal is to add more (more... MORE!!!) fish to the other 40 breeder, also? You could build a little community in that other 40 breeder around those two cichlids. But, that's just me... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya about the over stocking, always been a bit of an issue for me especially when it comes to adding in tetras or small barbs. I try to make sure the bigger fish all have their own zones but thanks for the advice on the apisto would he be better on his own instead of with a single female? Would he still be as showy?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Yes, you could stock with the little male Apisto as an individual fish. But no, he will not be near as colorful and showy as he would be with a 'harem' of 3 - 4 Apisto females around to impress and spawn with.
That's why I think you should stock with an Apisto group as the featured (only) cichlids in the established, 40 breeder tank. Go ahead, let that little guy get the chance to be your dominant, Top Dawg in there - and he won't disappoint! 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.