Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best approach to feeding for a mixed tank? I've heard to give some vegetables once a week (e.g. romaine lettuce) and we give a variety of fish foods, but what is recommended? I know some fish are better with plant based food, but you obviously can't separate the fish during feeding. Is it bad to give high protein food to plant eaters? What are people's favourite foods to help color up the fish?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
What kind of fish are we talking about?
It's perfectly fine to give NLS cichlid formula and Northfin cichlid formula to any fish that I have kept.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Plus one. It depends on how you define a mixed tank. My tanks are not SO mixed that the fish require different foods. But I do tend to separate fish by Lake with exceptions like I have Synodontis from Lake Tanganyika in my Lake Malawi tanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is similar to the question I recently asked in the Malawi forum, and I'm still a bit unsure..... For example, most sources say Yellow Labs should have a mostly vegetable-based diet, because their natural food is algae. On the other hand, most sources say you can't go wrong with NLS Cichlid formula. But that seems contradictory, because the 1st and 2nd ingredients in NLS Cichlid formula is protein (whole Antarctic krill and whole fish). If a species' natural diet is primarily vegetable, why would we feed that species a food whose primary and secondary ingredients are not vegetable?

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Smeagol said:
If a species' natural diet is primarily vegetable, why would we feed that species a food whose primary and secondary ingredients are not vegetable?
See more info in the other post, but the diet is not mostly carbohydrates...some vegetables are high in protein and there are protein based organisms in the algae on the rocks in Lake Malawi as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts