Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have decided to turn my 29g tank into a shell-dwelling setup. I think I have decided on Neolamprologus multifasciatus. I just have a couple questions before I actually do it.

We had a community setup in it for the last year or so. When we first set it up, we had both a bubble wall and sand substrate. After a few days the filter started making horrible noises so we replaced it. A couple days later this one stopped working all together. We then realized that the bubble wall was blowing sand up into the filter which is what was messing them up. We took the bubble wall out and bought a new filter and all has been well.

My question is, I know that multies love to spit and dig sand. Will they move the sand around so much to where it can mess up the filter?

More importantly, how do you sex these? If I go to the store and purchase 10 juveniles for example, will that be alright? I am assuming that a couple of them will have to be females. If I end up with more males than female will there be aggression or anything?

I also read that people put zebra danios in with them. I have 4 leopard danios, so I am assuming these would coexist as well?

I appreciate any advice that you guys have. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
The Danios should be fine.

They shouldn't dig that much. If it's a problem just raise the intake on your filter. But generally... no you shouldn't have any issue. Tangs generally will dig when first put into a tank...until they have it the way they like it. But multies don't dig that much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sexing multies is all about size my males are a little less than twice the size of the females. Also as far as a ratio I have 3 males and 5 females in a 20L and aside from a few squabbles here and there they all get along great. I don't know if you touched on this but the shells are paramount and each female seems to pick a shell or cluster of shells that are hers, the males just float from area to area bugging them. and as far as the danios I tried to throw 3 pygmy rainbows in the tank with these guys and they got beat up, which was mainly due to the fact that the tank was open, the only structures being shells. so if they had somewhere to hide I'd say the danios would be fine

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I already ordered shells but when I called all of the local stores, nobody has the fish in stock. One store had brevis in stock but that was it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts