Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read another thread on here about yellow lab fry prices,
it got me thinking, so what are the more valuable fish species?
How much would their fry sell for compared to adults?
Does it soley depend on rarity/breeding difficulty or do other
factors like colour/patterns play a role?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i cant answer all of your questions and i may be wrong on the ones i can.

fry sell for less than adults. my lfs owner has told me this as well as just looking around at prices. *** seen fry that were about 1/5th the cost of adults. i would think breeding difficulty would play into it. the more colorful fish seem to cost more as well. how far 'removed' they are from the wild factors into it as well, wc being the most followed by f1 as sometimes f2

i think location can play into it as well. overnight shipping to smaller towns costs more, 10-25 more for where i live. as well as demand, in my case, i highly doubt i would find some one looking any fry that i may end up with. my lfs said he would buy some of my plecos if they ever bred. with my yellow labs i doubt he would even be interested, petsmart sells them for dirt cheap. and with my brevis he might buy a few. if mine ever breed most will probably go to family and friends. the area im, from what i gather from my lfs, craigslist and the paper, marine aquariums more popular with the hobbyist than fw.

·
Super Moderator
40,889 Posts
It's going to vary by location due to availability, but the only higher priced juveniles I can think of around here are cyprochromis and synodontis.

Once you get into the world of sexed male haps I've seen more variation by species, but I find fishkeepers are willing to pay the highest prices for fish with full scientific name and collection point, and from a professional vendor with the best reputation.

For example I have purchased a show quality 8" Copadichromis borleyi Kandango for $10 from a hobbyist. The vendors can get 2X to 4X that for the same fish half the size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts