Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi…i just want to know which species of vallisneria grows to the least height? I have my sump with space to put them but the height isnt soo much especially when the return pump is working…mayb about 8-10 inches water level while pumps working…
Heared about vallisneria tortifolli…anybody having experience with it? How fast does it grow…does it take up nitrates as fast as the others of its family?
I have some guppy grass in there but i feel vallisneria is the best one for absorbing nitrates fast.
And also i have another doubt regarding using substrate to grow val
Wont using aquasoil prevent them from taking up nitrates from the water coloumn as the soil itself woulnd contain fertilisers for it?
My intention is purely to grow them so that they everything take what they need only from the water itself so that the nitrates are lowered…
So in that case i could just grown them in normal gravel in there right?
Thanks in advance😊

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Vallisneria spiralis, Vallisneria nana and the twisted-leaved Vallisneria tortifolia (also known as corkscrew Val) are the smaller growing types. They will all still grow longer than the 8 - 10 inch height of your sump.
But, that is not a problem. When the long leaves of that plant hit the surface and start to arch over the top... just clip them! They'll hang in there alive for awhile after getting clipped like that, but new ones will be growing up soon enough from the base to replace them, (it's a bit like mowing a lawn).
WARNING: This plant is a VERY HEAVY feeder. Pot it up in high quality potting soil, covered over with an inch+ layer of pool filtration sand or fine gravel. And then be prepared to keep feeding it. The recommended fertilizer method to use, is to 'spike' the soil/substrate with fertilizer sticks or something similar. The idea being to provide all of those extra nutrients where your hungry Vallisneria can get at it, without providing water borne access with that plant food to the dreaded algae.
And if done and maintained correctly, you will be able to sustain growth for that voraciously hungry plant species without having to resort to feeding it with fertilizers in your water.
NOTE: I Could Not sustain proper growth for this heavy feeder, aquatic plant with a 'regular' 2 inch thick soil rich substrate placed on the tank bottom. Potting my Vallisneria up however in what was primarily nutrient rich, high-quality potting soil did the trick (provided more nutrient rich soil for the roots in ACTUAL, deep glass pots). And with frequent use of fertilizer sticks, plus a rather aggressive 2-year re-potting regimen for those plants, I was able to keep them growing happily and eating those Nitrates out of the water column almost indefinitely. You will probably have to implement much the same thing for your sump, and fully commit to refreshing the much shallower soil substrate (nutrient layer) in there by re-potting those Vallisneria every year or so, to keep them growing happily for you

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vallisneria spiralis, Vallisneria nana and the twisted-leaved Vallisneria tortifolia (also known as corkscrew Val) are the smaller growing types. They will all still grow longer than the 8 - 10 inch height of your sump.
But, that is not a problem. When the long leaves of that plant hit the surface and start to arch over the top... just clip them! They'll hang in there alive for awhile after getting clipped like that, but new ones will be growing up soon enough from the base to replace them, (it's a bit like mowing a lawn).
WARNING: This plant is a VERY HEAVY feeder. Pot it up in high quality potting soil, covered over with an inch+ layer of pool filtration sand or fine gravel. And then be prepared to keep feeding it. The recommended fertilizer method to use, it to 'spike' the soil/ substrate with fertilizer sticks or something similar. The idea being to provide all of those extra nutrients where your hungry Vallisneria can get at it, without providing water borne access with that plant food to the dreaded algae.
And if done and maintained correctly, you will be able to sustain growth for that voraciously hungry plant species without having to resort to feeding it with fertilizers in your water.
NOTE: I Could Not sustain proper growth for this heavy feeder, aquatic plant with a 'regular' 2 inch thick soil rich substrate placed on the tank bottom. Potting my Vallisneria up however in what was primarily nutrient rich, high-quality potting soil did the trick (provided more nutrient rich soil for the roots in ACTUAL, deep glass pots). And with frequent use of fertilizer sticks, plus a rather aggressive 2-year re-potting regimen for those plants, I was able to keep them growing happily and eating those Nitrates out of the water column almost indefinitely. You will probably have to implement much the same thing for your sump, and fully commit to refreshing the much shallower soil substrate (nutrient layer) in there by re-potting those Vallisneria every year or so, to keep them growing happily for you
Amazing info bro…Thanks a lot🔥

1 - 3 of 3 Posts