Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am going on vacation next week. I will be gone for about a week. I am wondering what I should do as far as feeding. I have used the vacation bricks in the past but I am not convinced they work... I have a juv. frontosa tank and a mbuna tank. I usually feed NLS pellets. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Got got trouble for this in the past but if you have no young fish or fry, I find mine left without food for up to two weeks to be fine. Otherwise esp for the Troph at high stocking get an auto feeder or trusted friend to feed em at about 1/2 -1/4 what you usually feed.

They miss water changes more than food I think. Lower feeding means less water changes needed.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would do a large water change (at least 50%) prior to leaving them.

Do you have someone coming by to make sure the heaters and filters are running properly?

If so, you can prepare food amounts for the fish in little Dixie cups for them to feed.

Those vacation block feeders can really trash a tank that's unattended. If you don't have someone to come by, I'd almost take the chance of no food over using the food blocks. The fish should be okay, but I'd still be concerned about the filter and heater.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will change the water a good bit and feed them well before I go. They are very hardy fish so I think they'll be ok for a week without food.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So the overall consensus is not to use those white blocks for feeding? going away for a wk. I have 2 automatic fish feeders but have 3 tanks. If I understand this, they can go without food for a wk. without disasterous consequences??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts