Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading as much as I can find about the UV sterilizers out there. I've been thinking of trying one. Was hoping some of you guys that's have some knowledge on them and have used them could share alittle more info..
I've read that it's best to go with models that twist the water around the light, I guess they slow the water down to get more Time on the UV.?
Are they worth the $$?
In tank UV vs canister in-line setup?
Any models you could recommend.
Do they make that much of a diffrence in water clarity?
Any other helpful info on them would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've used my UV sterilizer in two tanks. It is currently in my 55gal tank with my flowerhorn. Its water was very very cloudy and nothing I added nor the amount of water changes improved the clarity. The UV sterilizer was nearly immediate and over night the water was and still is crystal clear. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow for you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head, 9 Watts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, thanks for the info. Is it really bulky and hard to hide in the tank? Do you use it as a power head also?

Anyone use out of tank/ inline u sterilizers?

·
Registered
229 Posts
That one is bulky and not easy to hide. I have one and it works, but for the price I paid for it, you can get a SunSun canister with one built in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In a 55gal that I dont have any deco in aside from a medium buddha figure, no its not bad. And is able to be adjusted sideways to hide behind plants if necessary. Regardless of size, it works wonders. I was just sharing mine :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have them on all my tanks. I have used them inline (in returns) but moved away from that approach, as when using with saltwater tanks, you do want to control the velocity of the water. Too slow and you kill the good stuff, too fast and it does not do much. You have no flexibility with return speed, so I moved it to its own network where it pulls water from the sump and returns it there, and operate it at a slower velocity than my returns were.

I am standardizing all my sterilizers with AquaUV. They are a good brand with good reviews. They have smaller onces that are HOB. I am hanging them on my freshwater sumps where a maxijet 1200 pulls water from the sump, inputs into the sterilizer and the sterilizer has a "faucet" to return the water to the sump using the hanger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts