Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pondering on getting a UV Sterilizer filter to replace my secondary filter (HOB) and also up the model of canister filter I am using. I have found little in reviews or comments from people who have used them so I am hesitant.

Any one here using one? Would it benefit my Oscar tank at all?

G

·
i have a uv sterilization light in line with my eheim canister.... actually have 2 in line.. one on my tropical tank and one on my goldfish tank.. i bought them both on ebay.. one works one doesnt... i actually have turned the one that works off since i have plecos and other algae grazing fish in there... in my opinion its a huge waste of time and money unless you have a real severe algae problem... allthough you can probly find one on ebay for around $50 or so

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
UV filter IMO isn't needed. If you use them replace the bulb at least once a year or else it wont work anymore. These don't really do anything toward the algae that stick to the glass. I never had a problem with floating algae so never need one. Just keep up with your water changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had one and took it out of 75, shortly after I ran it (tried 3 different times) I had fish die. It did a great job of killing the algae, but really riled up the fish and hurt them. Not sure if anyone else had had similar problems or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is one of those things that you should only get if you need it. Free floating alge or problems with ick, things like that that. I have a 18w turbo twist on my 120 and it keeps the water crystal clear even though there are three windows in the same room.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have one of the canister filters with a uv light inside. It took about a week to clear up green water in my 220 gal tank. So they work doesn't seem to bother the fish. I am happy with the purchase. So all I can say is if you want another canister and have a reason for uv light then why not?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts