Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been battling a white fog in my tank. Everything is cycled and all water parameters are good. I have been doing some experimenting to try and find the cause. Removing active carbon, water changes, using poly fill etc. I even had a problem with the bio media I was using. That is in another thread. Once I replace the bad bio media it cleared up a lot. I know that was part of my problem. However, I still had white fog hazy to the water. Last thing I tried was to unplug the UV sterilizer. I did not run it when cycling the tank. Once it was cycled and I started adding fish I start running it 24/7. I turned it off and within 12 hours the water is clear. I let the tank run without it all day. I plugged it back in an hour ago and now the water is cloudy again.

I know they kill stuff in the water and that can cause a cloudy until the filters remove it. However, I ran with the UV on for weeks and it never cleared up over time.

thoughts? Anyone heard or seen this behavior?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I'm gonna guess that this is somehow part of a condition called 'new tank syndrome'. And wow, if your UV sterilizer is able to produce visibly cloudy water when running? That's some definite cause and effect! It sounds like you have a very good UV sterilizer.
A strong running UV sterilizer will kill algae, bacteria, parasites and even diatoms that are floating free in the water of your aquarium. So, if you have new sand as the substrate in your tank, it is possible that diatoms are sort of going crazy with that stuff right now. This will happen in a new aquarium until the beneficial bacteria have had time to fully colonize all of the fresh sand and rocks (coat with a layer of 'bio-slime') that you have placed in the aquarium.
-
To remove the haze out of the water, you could try cycling through active carbon fills for a few days/a week at a time. If that is not very effective, higher density filtration media (micron level stuff) could be placed in your filter media to catch and remove the dead, microscopic-sized bodies floating around in the water of your tank. You will have to scrub/replace that high density media every few days though, as it will clog up pretty fast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I think you maybe right. I am starting to get what looks like brown algae on the glass. I will start to work on the assumption its diatoms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts