Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bother with them on Mbuna tanks?

Picked up my new tank (2nd hand) and it came with a Vecton UV steriliser unit. The previous owner swore by it (wasn't keeping mbuna though) but in all my years of fish keeping have never used/needed one to reduce parasites / algae etc.

Don't know whether to give it a go or sell it.

Ta

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I used one on my Reef and swore by it but I really found no need on a freshwater. I no longer own mine but if I had another I would use it anyway. I mean why not? You have it and it really dont take much to use it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
under_control said:
If you searched you'd find many use them. I love mine and i think it is a wise investment. It can NOT hurt your fish and you have it so why not use it.
I think you don't know where I was coming from.
Yeah.... I KNOW what they do and what they're used for, just wondering if many people with Mbuna tanks actually use them. Why on earth would I think they would hurt the fish??
It's a big beastie (25w version) so would be more clutter plus there is the added (and maybe unnecessary) expense of running it and new bulb every 6-12 months.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It sounds like you understand what they have to offer...

They will effect a mbuna tank the same way they will effect any other tank...

So it's a matter of asking yourself if it is worth the cost of maintenance on the UV to get the benefits they offer... Which in my experience is a highly reduced risk of parasitic infection, clearer water, no risk of bacteria/algae blooms and reduced algae reproduction...

I don't have a mbuna display tank, but if I did I would probably have a UV on it... I have them on a lot of my tanks...

·
Registered
253 Posts
25W is quite a bit of electricity...factor in ballast waste, a pump to run it and new bulbs and it's even more. Personally, I've seen and maintained aquariums with and without UVs. I've noticed no big difference between them. There is the chance, albeit small, that the UV can mutate some organism. But realistically, I've found that green water is caused by trace ammonia and a too-long photoperiod anyways. I've had my tanks running for 15 years without it and the water has generally been very clear. Proper maintenance and water change schedule is all I've ever relied on for good water clarity/quality.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
DNK said:
under_control said:
If you searched you'd find many use them. I love mine and i think it is a wise investment. It can NOT hurt your fish and you have it so why not use it.
I think you don't know where I was coming from.
Yeah.... I KNOW what they do and what they're used for, just wondering if many people with Mbuna tanks actually use them. Why on earth would I think they would hurt the fish??
It's a big beastie (25w version) so would be more clutter plus there is the added (and maybe unnecessary) expense of running it and new bulb every 6-12 months.
No, you don't know where I was coming from. If you had done as I stated and searched, you'd find countless posts on UV.

·
Registered
769 Posts
:-? :-? Easy, easy u_c. :eek: The ques. was asked in reference to Mbuna tanks in particular & only requires a yay or a nay but not a lashing for not doing a search before posting.
As to whether or not to use the unit I say since you got it, work it. Your water quality can only go from good to better or from better to best. If you feel it'll cost you too much time (maint.) & or money, I'm sure you can successful without it. JMPO, "T"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts