Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to use quickcure to treat the first fish I've ever had that has ich (i guess it is true that everyone comes across this disease at some point).

The malawi cichlid which contracted ich was in my main tank briefly over a week ago, but was moved to my smaller tank due to compatibility problems. It is currently in the small tank with a few alto comps, a yellow lab and a juvie red empress. I'm watching the main tank carefully but see no signs of problems and hopefully it'll stay that way.

Meanwhile, I did a large water change and a good cleaning of the bottom and raised the temp to 79-80 from 77 in the small tank. I added some epsom salt and 10 drops of quickcure. I'm monitoring for heavy breathing.

What else should I be doing?

How often should I use the quickcure? More than once a day?
I assume no water changes unless I see a serious problem with the fish?
Should I not feed them this entire time?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Actually, I do water changes every other day when I have ich in the tank. It helps to remove the parasites at the various life stages.

You don't need to increase your temp when using meds, there is no need.

Use the recommended dosage of Quick Cure (1 drop per gallon) once daily every day, for at least 3 days AFTER you see the last white spot fall off the fish.

You can feed them, just don't overdo it...They might not be as hungry as usual.

Watch the first tank the fish was in closely...

You can also keep the tank dark as much as possible to keep the fish calm and keep the stress level down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts