Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm upgrading to a 100 gallon from my 55 gallon and have a few questions. The tank I will be using was setup for saltwater but not sure if it was just fish or corals. I will be using this tank for my cichlids and concerned about cleaning the tank and what steps do I need to take. The tank also came with some rocks decor nothing special just simple aquarium rocks that can be used for salt or fresh. The rocks she used was another concern I had which was can these be used or am I better off ditching the rocks. The tank itself I did hose down some before I took it and the substrate used was crushed coral. The glass tank is a simple standard tank with no special holes drilled or nothing and it looks brand new. no calcium or salt caked on.

1. How to I clean and prepare this tank for my cichlids?
2. Can the crushed corral be used for substrate or am I better off keeping the gravel in my 55 gallon with the bacteria on it already?
3. The rock decor, can that be used if properly rinsed and if so how do I wash it?
4. Using all my decor gravel and water from my 55 to the new 100 gallon is it safe to transfer everything over without risk to my fish? ( although I do understand I may undergo a mini cylce due to the larger amount of water I will have to add )

Any help would greatly be appreciated.......

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
1) With my 180g that I bought used, I used a garden hose first and blasted it pretty good. I then used light soapy water solution and scrubbed the tank with a wash cloth. Obviously be sure to rinse it very well and let it dry completely.

2) You could probably use the crushed coral but I would get new substrate. Not sure what cichlids you have but I prefer sand over gravel. If you want to switch substrates you can always put some of your old gravel in mesh bags and use that to "seed" the tank with good bacteria.

3) There are a few different techniques for washing rocks. Physically scrub them, boil them or put them in the dishwasher with no detergent. I have tried all but the dish washer with no problems. Like the tank be sure to rinse them well.

4) I'm not 100% sure on this. You should be ok if you keep a good eye on your water parameters but I don't want to tell you to do it and then your fish have problems. I will let a better qualified person to answer this completely. Your water doesn't really hold any of the good bacteria. It's most in your filters and substrate etc. However I would use most of the water you have in the 55. Also don't forget to use a good dechorinator when adding the new water as to not kill off any of the good bacteria. Like you mentioned, I wouldnt be surprised if you went through a mini cycle. Good luck and post pics when you get it set up!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rgr4475 said:
1) With my 180g that I bought used, I used a garden hose first and blasted it pretty good. I then used light soapy water solution and scrubbed the tank with a wash cloth. Obviously be sure to rinse it very well and let it dry completely.

2) You could probably use the crushed coral but I would get new substrate. Not sure what cichlids you have but I prefer sand over gravel. If you want to switch substrates you can always put some of your old gravel in mesh bags and use that to "seed" the tank with good bacteria.

3) There are a few different techniques for washing rocks. Physically scrub them, boil them or put them in the dishwasher with no detergent. I have tried all but the dish washer with no problems. Like the tank be sure to rinse them well.

4) I'm not 100% sure on this. You should be ok if you keep a good eye on your water parameters but I don't want to tell you to do it and then your fish have problems. I will let a better qualified person to answer this completely. Your water doesn't really hold any of the good bacteria. It's most in your filters and substrate etc. However I would use most of the water you have in the 55. Also don't forget to use a good dechorinator when adding the new water as to not kill off any of the good bacteria. Like you mentioned, I wouldnt be surprised if you went through a mini cycle. Good luck and post pics when you get it set up!
Yeah I'm gonna wash the tank pretty good and the rocks and pay close attention to the chemistry of the water. As far as the swap I was planning on using everything ( All water, gravel, filter and decor ) on the new tank. I think I'll skip using the crushed coral for now and use my old gravel I have now however maybe getting 20 lbs more since the tank is bigger. Anyhow thanks for the reply and the quick response.

·
Registered
162 Posts
1. When I've bought used tanks(salt and freshwater) I just use a mix of vinegar and hot water to scrub the tank down and clean it then rinse it out real well.

2. The crushed coral is fine to use in a cichlid tank just soak and rinse it. It can also help with buffering your water.

3. I would just soak the rock decor in a vinegar or bleach and water mix. Then scrub any build up that might be on it then give it a good rinse. Basically just like if you were to buy new rockwork from a store.

4. You don't need to use any of the water from your current tank as most of your bio filtration is in your filters. Just feel the new tank with fresh clean water and treat with your dechlor. All your stuff from your 55 should be fine to just transfer over.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZcichlidfreak said:
1. When I've bought used tanks(salt and freshwater) I just use a mix of vinegar and hot water to scrub the tank down and clean it then rinse it out real well.

2. The crushed coral is fine to use in a cichlid tank just soak and rinse it. It can also help with buffering your water.

3. I would just soak the rock decor in a vinegar or bleach and water mix. Then scrub any build up that might be on it then give it a good rinse. Basically just like if you were to buy new rockwork from a store.

4. You don't need to use any of the water from your current tank as most of your bio filtration is in your filters. Just feel the new tank with fresh clean water and treat with your dechlor. All your stuff from your 55 should be fine to just transfer over.
Vinegar is what I was told to do but was unsure of the chemical reaction. I've been told to NOT use any harsh chemicals but then again the tank does look **** near brand new very little to no buildup so I'm thinking I don't need to do much. The decor I'm gonna scrub down real good just to be safe. Did you or have you done a transfer over without using any water? I ask since I was told to use as much as I could and then add fresh water kinda like a huge water change so to speak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also one question I think anyone can help me on. When using the stand that came with this new 100 gallon is it a good pratice to use say some type of styrofoam under the tank in between the tank and stand? I've never done this ever and was wondering is that a good thing to do?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Ed 718 said:
Also one question I think anyone can help me on. When using the stand that came with this new 100 gallon is it a good pratice to use say some type of styrofoam under the tank in between the tank and stand? I've never done this ever and was wondering is that a good thing to do?
On most tanks the bottom glass is raised above the plastic trim below it - the trim is designed to support the weight of the tank.

Putting styrofoam underneath the tank runs the risk of distributing uneven portions of the tank weight from the trim to the glass bottom, running a risk (however slight) of putting pressure points on the glass bottom.

So in short, don't do it.

kevin

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ridley25 said:
Ed 718 said:
On most tanks the bottom glass is raised above the plastic trim below it - the trim is designed to support the weight of the tank.

Putting styrofoam underneath the tank runs the risk of distributing uneven portions of the tank weight from the trim to the glass bottom, running a risk (however slight) of putting pressure points on the glass bottom.

kevin
I haven't done it myself but am in the process of setting up a 110 gallon tank and was considering putting something down. I did a search on this forum for "styrofoam under tank" and saw that there seems to be strong convictions about both positions (at least in relation to using styrofoam with a tank that has a "floating bottom." Everyone seems to be in agreement that it should be used with a flat bottom tank). I'm a bit undecided about the issue but what I read at the link below is tipping me toward going with some kind of padding.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/setup/stand.shtml

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I am a proponent of styro, even under a trimmed tank with raised bottom. It absorbs anny discrepencies in flatness on the stand and the trim is not always perfectly flat either. The trimmed tank will not sink into the styro to make contact with the bottom pane. On tanks where I'm putting lots of rocks, I set the bottom pane directly on styro.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'm a bit undecided about the issue but what I read at the link below is tipping me toward going with some kind of padding.
Just be sure you only put it under the edges so it's not pressing up on the tank bottom.

kevin
What he said, and I was told this very thing by a tank manufacturer. Pressure on the bottom from styrofoam underneath it is a bad idea and can result in failure of the tank bottom. For what it's worth. I'd think it would take a lot of pressure, but who am I to argue with the ones that build them.

And something I learned, do NOT use thick styrofoam as it can compress differently and cause the tank to go way out of level. A thin foam should be all you need or the stand is really bad and should be foxed or replaced.

·
Registered
597 Posts
All seems like good advice except the "light soapy water". Please don't risk it! Vinegar and water is a safer bet :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
rgr4475 said:
mrs.som said:
All seems like good advice except the "light soapy water". Please don't risk it! Vinegar and water is a safer bet :)
As long as it's rinsed throughly it's fine. Been doing it for years. Same with bleach water.
Whew, well if it works for you, but I think I'd be too nervous :)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
For hard water deposits etc on the walls, soak a piece of paper towel with vinegar and stick it to the glass so it can stay wet and do it's thing. I would also advise against soap, not all of them rinse completely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
GTZ said:
For hard water deposits etc on the walls, soak a piece of paper towel with vinegar and stick it to the glass so it can stay wet and do it's thing. I would also advise against soap, not all of them rinse completely.
i would disagree with this. i have used dish soap on all my used tanks. glass is not going to absorb any chemicals, and dish soap is pretty tame. just make sure you completely rinse a number of times and you wont have any issues...i usually thoroughly rinse my tanks 2-3 times, then completely fill with tap water. let sit for a few hours, empty, rinse, then fill up again. after that you wont have any issues.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
daninflorida said:
GTZ said:
i would disagree with this. i have used dish soap on all my used tanks. glass is not going to absorb any chemicals, and dish soap is pretty tame. just make sure you completely rinse a number of times and you wont have any issues...i usually thoroughly rinse my tanks 2-3 times, then completely fill with tap water. let sit for a few hours, empty, rinse, then fill up again. after that you wont have any issues.
Personal preference, I'd rather use something that I don't have to rinse 3 times, fill, empty, rinse and fill again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Honestley the best cleaner is Bleach and water. 1 cup per gallon. If you need to, wear goggles and rubber gloves for safety. Just pour in a couple cups or so of bleach, add warm water and wash with a wash rag. Clorox or any off brand without flowery smelly stuff. It will evaporate once rinsed and then you can wash and rinse with just water.

good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have also used bleach on all my tanks and never had a problem i was told my 100 gallon was set up as saltwater but the only thing i used from it was the gravel and i ended up changing to sand. the tank having gravel in it made me kinda skeptical if it was really saltwater because i heard u cant use normal gravel rocks in saltwater tank

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Looks like we can add dish soap/vinegar to the great Eheim/Fluval, Mac/PC, Hatfield/McCoy debates!

:D

kevin

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
ridley25 said:
Looks like we can add dish soap/vinegar to the great Eheim/Fluval, Mac/PC, Hatfield/McCoy debates!

:D

kevin
Don't forget the styrofoam/no styrofoam and of course, the always enjoyable, eggrate/no eggcrate debates. :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts