Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question and hopefully its not terribly dumb :eek:

Could i possibly split a 125g (72") into 2-3 sections and keep shellies and maybe another Tanganyikan species that may not necessarily be compatible in 1 large open tank? Or is it not a good use of time/money/fish health? Fish i have liked include brichardi, mulites, occies and some are terrors after pairing or before spawning or just not compatible.

Appreciate help and advice!

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Not really a dumb question at all. Dividing a longer tank in sections is often done to keep multiple species or juveniles, I've done it on a 33L tank with success.

Some points to consider are the thickness of the divider so as not to lose floor space, the ability to filter the different compartments and the installation of the dividers so the fish can't get from one compartment to the other.

IMO, a 125G tank would be pointless for fish that use the bottom portion of the tank such as shellies and if divided into 3 sections, you're left with less than a 24" long compartment.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
Not really a dumb question at all. Dividing a longer tank in sections is often done to keep multiple species or juveniles, I've done it on a 33L tank with success.

Some points to consider are the thickness of the divider so as not to lose floor space, the ability to filter the different compartments and the installation of the dividers so the fish can't get from one compartment to the other.

IMO, a 125G tank would be pointless for fish that use the bottom portion of the tank such as shellies and if divided into 3 sections, you're left with less than a 24" long compartment.
Excellent points. Most cichlids get eliminated at the <48"L tanks.

Curiosity bites....
What did you have in a 33L (48" L?) and how many sections? The juvenile route also sounds interesting especially with cichlids that are on the CARES program (a new reading interest of mine) :D

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
The 33L is 48" long and initially I used two pieces of 2" thick 20 PPI Poret foam as the dividers so in my case the footprint was rather small but perfect for any fry species bought at local club auctions. I had an Eheim 2217 for the filter and made up a spray bar that ran the length of the tank and set it on top of the foam dividers. The intake strainer was located in only 1 compartment so didn't really pick up 'stuff' from the other 2 sections. It was a temporary set up for a few weeks until the fish were large enough to go in their own tank.

I still have this tank set up but divided in only 2 sections as there is more room for any fish. I now use it as a quarantine tank for new arrivals.

I've used it for Tangs, some West African, and currently demasoni I got in December. Occasionally I use it as a catchall for fish I will move out of the fish room and plan on selling at club auctions.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deeda said:
The 33L is 48" long and initially I used two pieces of 2" thick 20 PPI Poret foam as the dividers so in my case the footprint was rather small but perfect for any fry species bought at local club auctions. I had an Eheim 2217 for the filter and made up a spray bar that ran the length of the tank and set it on top of the foam dividers. The intake strainer was located in only 1 compartment so didn't really pick up 'stuff' from the other 2 sections. It was a temporary set up for a few weeks until the fish were large enough to go in their own tank.

I still have this tank set up but divided in only 2 sections as there is more room for any fish. I now use it as a quarantine tank for new arrivals.

I've used it for Tangs, some West African, and currently demasoni I got in December. Occasionally I use it as a catchall for fish I will move out of the fish room and plan on selling at club auctions.
Good to know - seems a bit of a hassle unless I run two intakes on the canister with a custom outflow. Appreciate the time to respond :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,843 Posts
Another option would be to use smaller power filters in each section such as Aquaclear 50 or 70. Small diameter sponge filters would also be a choice with an air pump though they take up some room in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Watch those demasoni with the dividers. I had 2 males separated and not one day, but two days in a row one jumped the divider into the other side. 8 hours with 2 males alone in 24x12.

One was so beat up after the 2nd say he was upside down. He recovered from that surprisingly, but then developed columnaris and I could not bring him back from that even after 3 separate rounds of treatment.

I find I do have to filter and heat the various sections separately. To really get even circulation and temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts