Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was doin last coat of paint on the back noticed the rainbow like hue when I shined a light at the right angle

Now is it still useable I cleaned it with CLR very diluted solution,tank was calcium cover vinager didn't touch it, then rinsed for about 15 min then filled it with bleach water to test seals then painted last night when noticed that just make sure it wont hurt the fish or if I should try to get it off o ya also took some vinager to see if it would take it off didn't help filled it with water but can't tell when its full so prob just worrying to much but just want to make sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,998 Posts
Sounds like you are good to go. The things you have used will have removed anything that is not part of the glass. Bleach will react with any organic material. Oil would be one that would hurt the fish but it will be safe after bleaching. Just make sure to let it dry totally or if you are doing a fishless cycle it will be all gone by the time fish go in. Pays to never trust a tank. I once bought a tank and the guy had his grease gun wrapped in a rag laying in it. I bleach it all so I don't have to worry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trading tanks out 20long for this 36" 30 gallon why I wanted to make sure it was ok planned to it this weekend or one day next week don't want my fish going into a bad tank esp since they just started spawning
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Decided to go ahead and bleach it again figured wth had water in it going to let it sit for few hours then call it safe for use after it drys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,998 Posts
Glass sometimes does funny things that make it look weird but it doesn't hurt the fish. It's the things that people may have used or put in them that makes me nervous. Once you get the crud off it is just a common sense thing to me, to do what I can to clean it just like I was going to surgery. It takes that "old tank" smell out, too, when you bleach it. I once bought a house out of an estate where they had just walked and never came back. They had some type fish that was about 12-15" long. After a couple years dragging through the legal system, that was a real tank to clean up. :oops: Just a little bit of mold and fungus here and there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a huge tank in house I bought makes me wish I would of told them to leave it wanna say 8fter was half full of water but that was 2 yrs ago and wasn't in the fish hobby :lol: nothing like cleaning up mold and fungus tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
i would also say its fine now
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top