Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest step-daughter recently gave me a 55g tank and stand. The tank doesn't have the center support anymore. Should I be worried about it before I get ready to set it up? If so, what can I do to fix it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes we have heard that it will bow when filled with water it needs a center support you can use wood if you want to make a brace for it

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can also order a new top frame.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My tank had the center piece broken out too.
I gorilla glued a piece of plexiglass in the spot.
Mainly so I could support the two 24" lid pieces.
I've had the tank up and running for two years without problems and no noticeable bowing.

The top pieces are not expensive, and I would recommend doing that, and not what I did.
Also, it's cheaper to order those pieces from your LFS because they will absorb the shipping cost.

A top I recently ordered was only $16 from the aforementioned website, but with a $8 tube of silicone and shipping it ended up being $45. The next top I ordered through my LFS was $20 total, no shipping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the help and info, but, the tank in question never had a center support and they had it setup and never had a bowing problem. They say the glass is alittle thicker than a regular 55g tank.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If the tank was manufactured without a center frame it is fine. They started making them with thinner glass to save costs and added the center braces. Rule of thumb is if it was made with one it needs it and if it was made without one it doesn't need it. I have a 6' 135g tank without a center brace and it doesn't bow at all (I've measured the width on both ends and at the center.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts