Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 100g acrylic tank has a permanent top to it I was wondering how do I use a powerhead for adding water current to my tank without cutting up the top?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If it is a Aquaclear powerhead which I am most fimilar with they come with a mount with rubber suction cups.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
As I have found suction cups are a pain to keep in place, I might suggest another way. Do you have rocks that it could be tied to? I have found it works to strap them to the back of rocks, using plastic electrical tie-wraps (zip-ties?) Using a masonry bit, I drill two holes at angles so the holes meet and then feed the tie-wraps through and around the power head. It stays put but gives a way to move them around until I find the correct spot. The rock then hides the powerhead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I am sorry everyone, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the electrical cord and the placement. On the actylic permanent top there are two removable lids about 1'x 8" and they approx 8" from either the front or back I don't like having lids propped open. Is there anyway to get the powerhead in with the electrical cord being not so obtrusive?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
mcontri said:
Oh I am sorry everyone, I should have been more specific. I was talking about the electrical cord and the placement. On the actylic permanent top there are two removable lids about 1'x 8" and they approx 8" from either the front or back I don't like having lids propped open. Is there anyway to get the powerhead in with the electrical cord being not so obtrusive?
An acrylic tank should have holes drilled in the corners for power cords. If your doesn't, and you don't want to drill, then I don't see many options for you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I dont mind drilling, but I really dont want to drain the tank first LOL. I will think of something, thank you all

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
mcontri said:
Ok I dont mind drilling, but I really dont want to drain the tank first LOL. I will think of something, thank you all
You don't have to drain. I"ve done this. Just fix a net under where you're drilling to catch the acrylic shavings as it comes through. And go very, very slowly at the end. Normally, you'd flip it and finish the hole from the opposite site to get a clean hole, but not necessary for what you're trying to do. Have you ever drilled acrylic?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no not recently, back in Plastics and Woods class in junior high school LOL that was 25 years ago.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
A hole saw would be the tool of choice. Go slow, spray often with water (both bit and cut), and clean the bit off if acrylic shavings start to melt to it. Be careful not to let the saw bind in the hole. Keep it perfectly vertical. A good variable speed drill that doesn't jump too quickly to a high speed is helpful. Binding up in the hole or breaking through too hard at the end would be the biggest things to avoid. It cuts pretty easily, so it's not too hard to go slow, as it doesn't take that long to drill acrylic.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Since you don't need a round hole, do you happen to have a Dremel style mini-tool around? They can cut plastics without the danger of grabbing and breaking. I use abrasive disks for this type cutting. Run at a slow speed to avoid melting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts