Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently (2 days ago) rescued 10 Convict Cichlids from someone on Craigslist who said if no one picked them up, they were just going to throw them in their pond out back.. well, I live in VA and knew they would die immediately.. I had an extra 110g that I hadn't done anything with, so I decided to set it up and take the cichlids in. I have rocks coming on Monday that should be enough for each of them to have their own territory to prevent unnecessary aggression. Anyway.. after taking a quick look at these fish.. a few of them have white blotches on them. They don't look raised or puffy or surrounded by sores etc... And I've never kept aggressive fish before. Have been doing tons of research over the last few days about Convicts and have been keeping fish for 10+ years. Anyway, I'm worried that these white blotches are an illness of some kind.. I've read up on tuberculosis, and the picture online seems to look close. However, the eyes are not bulging which I have read is a common trait of fish that are sick with tuberculosis. Can someone help me identify if this is just scaring from bouts with each other, or some sort of illness? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to give these guys a great home.

I have attached a picture to aid with assistance.

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like an old wound from fighting or scraping against a rock to me. Have fun with those convicts! 10 will turn into a hundred quick. Remember, no good deed goes unpunished but that was definitely a humane thing to do so good for you.

·
Premium Member
4,682 Posts
Hey, that's nice work in rescuing all of the little Convicts!
The 110G should make a very nice home for these fish. And, this is the four foot, TALL tank, right? So, if you build UP, and put in enough big rocks, driftwood and stuff (think Mbuna levels here...), your Convicts should work things out among themselves pretty well in there. Beware though, the pairing/breeding cycle is probably ALREADY well underway in there for these fish. I mean just one spawning pair in a four foot long tank, is gonna ramp up the pain for everyone else pretty quickly. Then almost inevitably... If/when you get TWO pairs going at it? Whew, actual WARFARE may ensue! And well, if you are THAT GUY that ultimately winds up with THREE pairs of simultaneously spawning convicts in this four foot long tank? Have the hospital/quarantine tank ready! You're almost certainly gonna have some casualties in there.
Should be quite a show to watch though. Enjoy the ride! :popcorn:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Auballagh!

should be pretty fun.. I have them in a 150g pond in my aquarium room at the moment. Currently constructing a DIY 3D background that has tons of caves and rocks for them to hid in, as well as hardscape I'll be putting in. Should be enough room for everyone.. also have a large Tiger Oscar on the way to try and curb the fry population.. hopefully it works without too much pain for everyone haha. I have another 75g on standby as well as a 30g hospital/q tank on standby!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts