Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so today around 6 i bought a bicolor 500 peacock cichlid. the fish store had him in there basement because he is a show fish, photographers from all over were taking pictures of this cichlid. i brought him home and aclimated him properly. in my tank i have 2 jewel cichlids and a yellow lab. long story short, i left the house to help a friend with car audio troubles. when i was gone my usually temperate yellow lab, absolutly dimolished the bicolor. i found him face done in a plant gasping hard with almost half of each fin chewed off. i immediately took him out of the tank and put him in my community tank. hes not going belly up, and hes swimming "decently" but you can tell hes having trouble.

im not sure what im really asking, i think i just need some advice and closure that hes going to be okay, he was absolutly stunning when i bought him and still is in his condition. he is deffinitly one of a kind. what can i do to keep him alive, is there anything?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Clean water, healthy food, a calm environment and rest should do it.

There are no guarantees (there might be injuries we can't see), but fins grow back pretty quickly.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Agree with Nina. Keep him in a tank with no aggression, lots of cover, excess filtration and no lights. Your biggest threat now is infection, so keep the water as clean as possible. Twice weekly 30-50% water changes will help him heal, and you might consider picking up some Melafix to treat with.

If he makes it through the next couple days and doesn't catch an infection, he should be back to normal in several weeks.

What fish are in your community tank, and what size tank is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the cummunity tank has 2 gourami's and 3 balas. i got those for free when i got the tank. and i recently bought 2 1" bumblebees, i didnt want to put them with my bigger cichlids in fear of something similar to this happening. its 30 gallons.

·
Registered
554 Posts
the bumblebees might be a bit much for it as well, keep your eye on things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts