Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two Green Texas in our tank that appear to be ready to breed. They have both developed a jet black colouration on their underside, and exhibiting interesting behaviours. They are both lip locking, circling each other and have dug out an extensive pit in the substrate. There is a rock in the tank but I don't think it's flat enough to breed. We have an 80L tank on its way within the week. We are seeking advice on the best way to handle the situation as we would like them to breed.

Will the tank be big enough for them?

Should both parents remain in the separate tank at all times?

How long after exhibiting the observed behaviours will it take for them to breed?

[/b]
Thanks.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Will the tank be big enough for them?
This depends on how big the fish are and how big your current tank is. We'll need that information from you. I have bred various herichthys species in as small as a 20 high but usually use my 70's as breeder tanks.

Should both parents remain in the separate tank at all times?
I don't quite understand the question. If the fish are in seperate tanks they can't spawn... Typically they make excellent parents usually not getting the first couple of spawns right but after that once they start spawning it will be difficult to get them to stop.

How long after exhibiting the observed behaviours will it take for them to breed?
There's too many variable to say how long courtship will last befor they spawn. Water temp, water quality, diet, surroundings, decor, activities in the room the tank is in and lighting are all factors.

They are not a difficult fish to spawn, depending on the size difference between the male and female will depend on a lot of things. He may be hard on her, or she may be hard on him. BUT I've seen pairs that got on happily and the male was easily twice her size!

Give us more information and we will be able to answer these questions better!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curent tank size is 4' x 2' 1.5' (320L, or 80 Gallons). The new tank I have coming is 2' x 1.5 x 1.0 (80L, 20 gallons).
The male is slightly larger than the female.
I meant separating them once the fry have hatched, in regards to the possibility of needing to separate them.
We are also wondering if they definitely need a flat surface to breed on. They have dug out a pit in the gravel, but we're not sure of the rock we have will be flat enough and/or large enough. ie what size rock would be desired? Is there any particular spot in the tank to place it to encourage breeding?
If we remove them from the main tank now and put them into the smaller tank, would this encourage them to breed? Obviously the same water conditions would be required, but would moving them disrupt any breeding plans they have...?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
If it were me I would leave the pair in the larger tank. For me they have spawned on flat rocks, in caves, on the wall of the tank, on the bottom glass on pieces of ceramic tile on a 45* angle... You name it, I don't think they care! LOL

Keep the small tank to remove about 50 fry after they are free swimming so you can raise them yourself.

I remove about half of a spawn of any fish to raise myself. Only removing half doesn't disturb the pair too much and it keeps their bond strong. I've learned the hard way that if you remove all of the fry he tends to think it's her fault and kills her.

Do you have an air powered sponge filter? If not, get one and get it running in the big tank now to season it. By the time fry are ready to be removed simply fill the 20 gallon with water from the bigger tank and add the sponge filter to the 20. A small heater if needed and you're done.

To encourage them to spawn to a 75% water change refilling with slightly colder (5*) water than what the tank reads. They will spawn quickly if not instantly after the cool water water change. You can also feed some live food like earth worms, stay away from feeder fish...

I've never met a fish that doesn't like worms!

Just keep an eye on them, if the male starts to get too rough with her then invest in a divider made from white egg crate. (light diffuser for drop ceilings) They will spawn through the divider...

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
FishGuy is right they will have no problem laying eggs anything.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Fantastic advice from TheFishGuy. I don't really have anything else to add other than: keep them in the large tank. A smaller tank has a higher risk of things getting out of hand before you can intervene.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that info, awesome help as always.

The funny thing is, the cheeky little guys laid eggs on our driftwood over night! So there are a few hundred eggs on it already- very excited.

To answer your question, we have a carbon/sponge filter running in a smaller tank already yes. The tank has been running for a couple of months with some platies in it.

We will do our best to update you on our progress over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the link to some pics of our Texas during stages of breeding. Currently, the fry are free swimming. We are waiting on the arrival of a tank in which to put them in. We are considering putting the parents in the second tank with them, as we can see the Texas are going to completely re-arrange the tank. Would you recommend the egg crate as a means to keep them in the same tank to breed? Hope you like the pics.

Thanks.

Link:

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Link did not work:

1. Sign up for a free account with a one of these web sites:
www.freewebspace.net
www.photobucket.com

2. Upload the pictures from your PC to that online site. Pictures will be stored on their server and then accessible anywhere on the WWW.

3. After the upload is complete, view the photo you wish to post here. Right-click on the picture and then select Properties. Copy the Address (URL).

4. On this forum, Write in your post the following:

Code:

5. THEN, before you SUBMIT your post, be sure to PREVIEW it first. You should see the image. If not, double check your code.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, heres a second attempt at photots. I went through photobucket, so hope it works for you. We have moved both parents and fry across to a 80L (30 gallon) Aquarium where things are looking good. There isn'y much aggression between the parents at this point, so hopefully this continues. We are down to about 50-70 fry, being that quite a few were being picked off in the main tank. Hope the pics work!

Parents at planned breeding site:

Parents with Eggs on Driftwood:

Parents guarding wrigglers (hard to see wrigglers):

Parents with fry:

Parents with fry:

Parents with fry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.