Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

My mbuna tank has been running successfully for the last 6-8 months. The last two or three days my yellow-tailed acei were acting normal but doing something strange. They seemed to be picking each others fins; not nipping like when my other species fight but picking each others sides and fins. Besides that, they were acting normal. Swimming, eating, being the most social like always. This morning I left the house and when I just got back (about 12 hours later,) all 5 of them are now dead. :(

I am really worried now... is there some sort of parasite or infection in my tank? Everyone else is acting normal and the water levels are all normal. If this was an infection of some sort wouldn't other species be affected? I find it strange that all of a certain species dies in one day, which makes me think it is aggression (They were killed.) Any ideas who/what it could be?

Thanks in advance, I need all of the help I can get!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 Pseudotropheus socolofi
3 Red Zebras
5 Rusty
4 Yellow Labs
2 Perlmutt

Water parameters are normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a water change and now that I am looking closely, there are small white things crawling up the sides of the glass? They look like tiny white worms and they are crawling all over. I have never noticed them before.

Could this be the cause? Pet stores are closed, I don't want to lose all of my fish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I'd say maybe too high on the number of species and too low on the number of females. At 8 months that's when my demasoni tank went crazy as the fish were all maturing and starting to spawn.

Can't tell from the pic what your critter might be, but try googling planaria. I think they are harmless but if you have them your tank may need a good cleaning.

You can also google hydra. Those are the two things that come to mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can work on the species count if it turns out that the deaths were aggression-related.

After reading about planaria, I am hoping that is what the white things are. It is just strange that I have never noticed them. I gaze at the aquarium often and it is not unusual for me to sit there for two hours at a time taking photographs. I have never once seem them (although I have never looked for them specifically,) but now they just seem so noticeable. They are crawling all over. They look nothing like hydra though.

It is also strange that I only notice these things after I have my first fish deaths.

Most importantly, all of the remaining fish have the same symptoms that the acei had. They are all picking each other's fins and scraping on rocks. :( Hope I don't wake up to the whole tank dead.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not knowing what it is I would do a 50 percent water change. It will atleast lower the concentration of any disease or parasites. Plus it's always good for water changes. Good luck. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry for your loss davethomasowns.

+1 to a 50% water change...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
"They are all picking each other's fins and scraping on rocks." <-----You mentioned all of your fish are flashing. It could be aggression but where the labs flashing too?

I asked about the pH because the flashing could be an indication that the pH bottomed out and it could kill all your remaining fish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My pH has always been low. It stays at 7.4. Local store told me it would better to have a consistent pH than to keep buffing it. The tank has been thriving for months before this started yesterday.

I just checked and it is still 7.4. All the levels were what they normally are.

These white things sound like they are normal and harmless, but all of my fish are still picking, including the yellows, which is making me think they are sick or infested with something.

Hoping I can figure this out soon so I don't lose all of them.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
They look like planaria to me and although they are harmless to fish they are said to proliferate because of poor water.

You say your water parameters are normal but what are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Planaria also can appear in overfed tanks? Might be worth giving the substrate a good vacuum as well if you haven't already.

Here's a link to read

http://fishdoc.net/faq/faq_details.php?faqId=185

Have you actually netted a fish out and examined it? Just to check for other possible parasites? They would possibly be fin clamped if they have some.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
davethomasowns said:
I can work on the species count if it turns out that the deaths were aggression-related.
How will you determine this?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Autopsy of course!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
What are your water parameters: Temperature, ammonia (NH3/4), nitrite (NO2), pH, GH, KH and nitrate (NO3)? It's not sufficient to say that your water tests "okay" or "fine."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts