Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 20 Tropheus duboisi and need some urgent help. My tank had some gill flukes about a week ago but i made it go away with some anti biotics. Today i stopped dosing and put in the power filter. Now my tropheus duboisi wont eat and their poop is stringy and clear white. Their bodies seem normal size but i cant be too sure. They are about 2-3" each and are in a 100 gallon tank. if my fish do have bloat could you tell me how to get rid of it? thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i used tetracylin i believe is the name. all my Water parameters are fine, i checked about 5 times trying to see if that was the problem.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
You can use either metro or clout. Metro can be dosed at 100-200mg per 10 gallons twice daily until they regain their health. Clout, a much stronger med, can be dosed at 1 tablet per 10 gallons, typically for 5 days straight although.

It's important to note that different hobbyists have had success using both meds and at different dosages than what I just told you.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you have any pictures of bloated trophes at all? I think i am going to use the clout on them tommarow. just want to make sure they have bloat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just finished putting together hospital tank and i put them in, it is a 20 gallon bucket. I put in some clout and the lady at the store said that they should be ok. Thanks for all the help guys, you might have saved my fish. :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
sorry to here that...Metro man myself...but some here believe in clout...hope u didnt over medicate them...hope u save the rest... :fish:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Personally I prefer Metronidazole, but since I buy it 1,000,000 grams (1 KG)at a time, I'm not shy to use 500 grams per 10 gallons of water when I treat. (1,000,000 / 500) = 2,000 gallons of water treated.

I've had the clout'em kill'em experience myself, whereby I medicated, only to find 'em dead within 6 - 8 hours. :(

My current colony contracted bloat within first month I had 'em but Metro saved my ass and I lost only 4 males, 0 females. Today, 7 males, 13 females, remain from original purchase of 24 fish (11 M + 13 F).

·
Registered
723 Posts
Correction to my entry: 500 grams should read 500 milligrams. and 1 KG should = 1,000 grams, not 1,000,000.

Basically, I use ½ gram (500 mg) per 10 gallons of water. Extrapolated, 1.0 grams treats 20 gallons, so 1,000 grams (1 KG) treats 20,000 gallons of water, not 2,000 as I wrote above.

Where was my brain this afternoon!?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i sold the rest of my duboisi that were left and my other group of 25. Just got tired of them. Now im moving on to alto comps shelldwellers and cyps. still have a few tropheus left though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh Im sorry to hear that it made you give up the tropheus hobby! Though I do like what your moving on too! I have some and am very happy with them! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts