Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently inherited some cichlids from my brother in law- a jack dempsey, fire mouth, and green terror, also a pleco. He has had them for several years, except the jack dempsey which he has had for about 7 months. All these range from 5 to 7 inches. I know all the cichlids are highly aggressive, but seem to get along well in the tall 75G i have them in. Since it is a tall tank I was wondering what kind of fish I could add for the upper tank. I was looking into either a couple of blue gourami, or maybe a shoal of BA or columbian tetras, possibly barbs? any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well you can go many routes with this. You do have aggressive and larger sized fish so whatever you put in there most likely will get eaten sooner or later. So it will be a more of a personal preference and price. I have used Buenos Aires tertras,giant danios tiger barbs pearl danios and many more. Just start out with the cheaper ones so you don't feel so bad once they get picked off. Good luck and keep us posted if you find something. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I find hardy, quick fish that school are worth a look. I find 5 black skirt tetras to work for me. They are a taller shorter fish than many tetras and swim in short dashes that tend to throw off any chasing fish. They also lose track of which fish they were chasing! I have, on several occasions, lost a portion of tail fin but they grow back to normal with no death. I also think these fish are somewhat on the "slow" side mentally as they never seem to get too upset by the chase. They just go back to the group and start blundering around like normal. Kind of like being nearly killed is part of the game!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I probably would not add anything since they will grow and use up that extra space.

·
Registered
91 Posts
With those three cichlids in a 75 I don't think those dithers will have much room to get away, especially once they reach full size. Whatever u choose are probably gonna get punished. But its always is worth a try to me coz all fish are different so u never actually know what will happen until u try. I'd just go the cheaper route to start out with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
iv always gone with giant danios, just make sure you have over 5 and you have a lid on your tank as they have a habit of jumping...as others have said tho i think its more damage limatation, just expect to find one missing or missing a tail

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would go with giant danios too. They're really fast and stay at the top of the tank. Tiger barbs and tetras always become snacks for my fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.