Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My wonderful husband has supported my crazy and convinced me to set up three more tanks. :D I now have a 75G 48x18x20 to set up my dream Tang community tank! I will be running a HOB (Marineland Penguin 350) as well as a cansiter (Eheim 2215 or Fluval 406 still undecided). My current Tang tank is a 35G(?) Tall 30x12x23 which is currently home to a colony of 5 l. stappersi (one adult and 4 sub-adults at 1.5") and a BN pleco. I will be taking down the 35G and moving my shellies and the BN to the 75G.

Working with my current stocking, I'm wondering what exactly can I get away with in this tank? I'm very aware of just how aggressive the stapps are, and how much floor space they need compared to some other shellies, like multis. I've had these guys for several years and am on my third generation. They've already outgrown my 35G, as three are currently "shell-less," forced to hide behind driftwood or up in the caves.

I will be getting some cyps for the upper portion of the tank, most likely some sort of c. leptosoma (non jumbo). With all of that, can I realistically keep 2 kinds of rock/cave dwellers? I would LOVE some Calvus if it's possible, and was looking into julies (ornatus or transcriptus) as the second species. I have read mixed reviews/results about putting Calvus and shellies together, though. Some reports say the Calvus will not touch the adult shellies, even when full grown. Others have experience with their adult Calvus eating adult shellies.

So, would this be a possible stocking list?

5 L. stappersi
1 BN pleco
12 C. leptosoma
5 A. Calvus (to form a pair)
5 J. ornatus/transcriptus (to form a pair)

Or would it be more plausible to do a pair of julies with a lone Calvus or vice versa?

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had j transcriptus with multis and also with caudalpunctatus in a 75 over the years along with cyps and at on time had a lone calvus with brevis. No issues with any of those setups although fry didn't flourish.
Also if you go 2215 spend extra and get 2217.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
That's good to hear. After looking through a bunch of previous threads it looks like two pairs of rock/cave dwellers is possible with shellies in a 75G. I still get a little nervous that my stapps will expand past their designated space... But they would probably take over the whole tank if I let them!

It's also nice to hear someone has had success with calvus and shellies, but I guess it just comes down to a bit of luck wether or not they'll go for adults when they get bigger. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My next question regarding putting my shellies in with calvus is would the similar color markings cause further aggression or territory issues?

The l.stappersi has very similar black and white bars with white pearly irridescent spots. Since my shellies are already 1.75"-2" in size, would throwing in a white or black calvus (hopefully juvenile although size depends on availability) create confusion? Would they see each other as competition or are the body shape and markings different enough to be okay?

I know a lot of the time it's not recommended to put different cichlids with similar colors together.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I don't think markings are an issue between these two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts