Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So I'm upgrading from a 55 to a 75, and I have a question. What is your preferred method on where to put the fish while you set the new tank up? My new tank is going to go in the exact same spot as my old one so I have to break the 55 down before I can set the 75 up. I have a 20 gallon hospital tank, but I have a fish being treated for bloat in it at the moment, and I don't think adding 13 fish to the tank is a good idea. So should I use one of my heaters and pop them into a plastic tub for the amount of time it's going to take me to set everything up? Just want to make sure I keep the stress down, as I know it's going to be stressful for them already. This is my first upgrade, would've gone bigger, but it won't work where I'm at. Thanks for any help!

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
I have a bunch of 5G buckets I use for various fish purposes...I add air stones or small filters and heaters if I have them. Good idea to split the fish up...especially males.

It should only take 2 hours...mostly the time to drain and refill. Have EVERYTHING ready. Especially your layout for the rocks so you can just place them quickly and no time to arrange. Wash substrate the day before. Be sure to heat the substrate up to 78 degrees with warm water (use a thermometer) that morning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have all males (haps/peacocks) so splitting them up won't matter much. I have buckets as well, and I have that run which is actually 30 gallons, so I may just put them in that while I do everything.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I like your idea of the plastic tub. Keep your filter running in there so you don't loose your good bacteria.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I removed the rocks and filter then drained 70 % of the water in my 55 and left the fish in it. I moved it, set the 75 in its place, setup the filters and rocks in the 75, then moved the fish to 5 gallon buckets while I got the substrate out of the 55 and into the 75.

The fish were in the buckets for roughly 30 minutes and the entire process was as DJ stated, around two hours.

·
Registered
449 Posts
punman said:
I like your idea of the plastic tub. Keep your filter running in there so you don't loose your good bacteria.
That is what I do; two tubs, one for each filter, put rocks from tank in each with the fish to save the bacteria on them and give the fish some comfort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I upgraded my 120 to a 180 I decided it was time to upgrade my house trash cans. I sucked the water into the trash cans and put the fish in them. I bought either 50 or 60 gallon cans. Then all I had to do was put the water in the new 180

1 - 8 of 8 Posts