Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be upgrading my tank in the next few days from my current 90, to a 125 6ft. Im just wondering, if by using my 90s water, plus all running equipment, substrate, everything, if the tank will be okay to add fish in immediately. The reason i ask this, is because i dont have enough filtration to run both of them i dont think. I probably could do it, i have 5 HOB filters, plus 2 power heads, 1 of which has a filter, plus a whisper that isnt cycled. But it would be a stretch. I did move all my fish a few months back from my 50 to my current 90 and didnt lose any, however i now have some small 2 inch juvis im worried may not be able to take it. Im not in a huge rush i just dont want my apartment to be crowded. However if i took my time, i would likely build and install a 3d background. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Did the same thing with my 55g to 75. I would think since your bio load isnt changing that as long as you dont clean anything and just move it over you should be good to go.

I would still keep an eye on water parameters for a week or so to catch any spikes if they do occur.

If you plan on doing a background, now would be the time to do it before you get all filled and setup, and then sit back and say I should make a BG. LOL So what I am saying is the thought is already crossing your mind, do it now. Your fish are doing ok now so they wont mind waiting another few weeks. Plus you get DIY it up! :dancing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
As benjamin said, your bioload isn't changing, but you still need a minimum of 4x/hour turnover for aeration, and keeping your bio filter active .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Filtration should be fine. I say you should do a background.

I just upgraded from a 60 to a 100g. My water params were fine with my existing filters but I did lose some fish. Some died within 48 hours and I lost one to bacteria infection. I believe all losses were stress related and most likely the stress of territories and dominance being re-established.

If I was to do it again I'd treat my original tank for a few days with Melafix before the move. I'd then treat the new tank for a few days after the move as well. I don't think it would have helped the first 2 that died but it definitely would have helped with the bacteria that killed one and has injured another.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Take your time, build the background. You have a much easier time for this before you fill the tank. Get it exactly how you want it.

At that time, you are good to go - move filters, substrate, rocks etc. You don't even need to move all the water over.

Recently moved my tangs from a 75 to a 150. Moved the filters and rocks, and a couple buckets of water. I used new substrate, and a lot of new water. No issues. Most of the bacteria etc will be in your filters and on rocks etc. I looked at it as just doing a major water change.

The bacteria loads from the filters will be fine if you don't add additional fish at the time. There is just more water to dilute the impurities. Later, add more filtration if you feel it is needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks guys, still up in the air of where i am indeed getting this tank from but i have a few options, so taking my time with it. Its definitely hard though! :lol:

So i guess when i do get it, i will build the BG, let air out, install, then i can pretty much move everything over? The tanks will be side by side, so it would really make it easy if i just moved everything without cycling the tank. I will be adding an extra bag of PFS. But i think this will be okay. My fish are pretty tough. I will keep you guys posted. Once i get the tank i will post pics, and continue with the whole set up process.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top