Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the hunt for a 125g to upgrade my current 55g.

The new tank will go where my current one is (no room elsewhere)...I am trying to get my head around few things because I know I will need to remove the fish to move everything around.

I can place the fish in 5 gallon buckets and try and collect as much water from the current set up to better climatize the fish. But essentially there will be a 80%+ water change in effect.

I am concerned about the following....

Temperature of the bucket water while I move things around (the arrangement will take hours I imagine)
Getting the new tank water up to temp quickly - I guess I can take from the hot tap?
Will my current 55g HOB be OK while I cycle a new canister set up?
Changing the substrate - I want to go to sand rather then my current gravel.

Looking for some guidance from the forum.

Many Thanks
James

·
Registered
495 Posts
you need to put the canister on the 55 now and let it become seeded with good bacteria. one HOB will not cycle a 125.

another Idea would be to use rubbermaid tubs to house the fish while you get the new 125 set up instead of buckets.

when you change to sand you will lose all that good bacteria on the old gravel.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Temperature of the bucket water while I move things around (the arrangement will take hours I imagine)
As long as you don't keep your house cold, not a concern at all. Bump the room temp up to 70-72 and they'll be fine.

Getting the new tank water up to temp quickly - I guess I can take from the hot tap?
Yes

Will my current 55g HOB be OK while I cycle a new canister set up?
Maybe, you may see spikes after moving them because not all of the bacteria reside in the filters. Just test and be prepared to deal with any spikes that happen. Best is to do as Matthew suggests and put the canister on the 55 now. Take a filter pad from the HOB and add it to the canister. Run it for 4-8 weeks that way if you can.

Changing the substrate - I want to go to sand rather then my current gravel.
That'd certainly be the time to do it. You'll lose some bacteria, but you're going to anyway, and nothing you can do about it. It rebounds quickly. Just feed very sparingly for first several days after moving while testing for ammonia/nitrite to see how things are going to go.

·
Registered
431 Posts
1. The water from your current tank really means nothing, feel free to use 100% new tap water in your 125(conditioned of course).

2. You should probably be fine, but I always throw a heater and bubbler in my bucket(s) when my fish will be in there for several hours.

3. You can absolutely use scalding hot water to get the temp right.

4. Set the canister up ASAP on your 55g, then transfer both the HOB and canister over.

5. I've never needed to try this, but you could put a bunch of your old substrate in a stocking or something similar for a few days to transfer some of the beneficial bacteria over.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
benny71 said:
BE VERY careful when you do this. I burst a $50 50' aqueon hose/siphon by leaving scalding hot water under pressure (closed the valve, forgot to turn off sink).

If your hot water is hot enough, it will weaken the tubing (doesn't matter what make it is).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Glaneon said:
benny71 said:
BE VERY careful when you do this. I burst a $50 50' aqueon hose/siphon by leaving scalding hot water under pressure (closed the valve, forgot to turn off sink).

If your hot water is hot enough, it will weaken the tubing (doesn't matter what make it is).
I guess I should have explained better...Since he is worried about getting the tank to the right temp, I was assuming that he'd be connecting his hose to a spigot that didn't have a knob for hot, so he'd be using a bucket to pour hot water in.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm actually in the same situation...hehe
Im upgrading from 80g to 150g, for 8 fronts **** and 1 pleco.
And I have to put the new tank at exactly where the current tank is. Guess will be having a difficult time doing so.
Btw, don't you have to cycle your new tank before introducing your fishes to it?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Btw, don't you have to cycle your new tank before introducing your fishes to it?
That's best if you can. If you have to put the new one where the old is and can't do that then there are other options.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
We just replaced a 35 hex with a 55 (standard).
Turned off everything.
Drained some water into bucket.
Put fish in bucket.
Drained rest of tank.
Moved old tank.

Setup new tank.
Added extra PFS.
Setup heaters, filter, air pump, etc.
Got water temp about same as bucket temp (little warmer).
Filled tank with water.
Put fish back in tank.

All done!
(in my case the Fluval 404 was WAY more than the 35 needed and enough for the 55, so I didn't worry about water - effectively did about a 93% water change)

·
Registered
175 Posts
prov356 said:
That's best if you can. If you have to put the new one where the old is and can't do that then there are other options.
Prov356,
FYI, my 'new' tank is an Used tank. What other options do I have? Do you mind to share? That will save me a few Telenol ;)
Btw, do I need to clean the used tank just in case there were some diseases in the previous fishes lived in that tank?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
See your other thread for swapping steps.

Btw, do I need to clean the used tank just in case there were some diseases in the previous fishes lived in that tank?
If you suspect disease, then I'd fill the tank and add bleach to it. Let it sit that way for a day. Do this obviously where no little ones or pets can get near it. Drain it, refill and add a double dose of dechlor. Let sit for another 24 hours. Drain it, and give it the sniff test. If you still smell bleach, refill and double dose dechlor again. One time has always sufficed for me.

I'm not certain that any fish disease would live in a dry tank, but there's little cost in sterilizing tanks and equipment this way. If you had rocks, etc that you wanted to sterilize, just add them to the tank while you do this. I've done this to sterilize whole systems including filters. You just run the filter with the bleach in the tank. Throw away any filter pads. You're just sterilizing the mechanicals.

Don't fear bleach, it's your friend and perfectly safe. Dechlor deals with it nicely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't just fill your 125g with tap water. I switched from a 90g to a 125g. I had one canister filter on the 90g. I bought another canister filter with the 125g. The 125g went where the 90g was so we tore everything down filled the tank with what water we saved from the 90g and the rest with tap water. Luckily I have a 75g so I put the fish from the 90g in there for a couple of days while my 125g cycled. I tested the 125g water and the nitrite levels and amonia levels would have killed any fish if I would have put them in the water within the first two days. I wouldn't take a chance when dealing with tank changes. Of course all my fish are adults and are expensive so I would have been pissed to see $300-500 worth of fish die in my tank.

Edit: So there is no confusion. Both canister filters are on my 125g.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts