·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12x demasoni

6x Socolofi (Albino)

6x Cynotilapia afra

3x Synodontis petricola catfish

This is for a 55g. Would this be too overstocked or something that could work? Should I cut the afra and soco down to 6 each. Should I cut the catfish out completely?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
teqvet said:
12x demasoni

6x Socolofi (Albino)

6x Cynotilapia afra

This is for a 55g. Would this be too overstocked or something that could work? Should I cut the afra and soco down to 6 each. Should I cut the catfish out completely?
What Cyno. species are you talking about? "Afra" doesn't tell me a whole lot. The Cyno's vary in size - from mature at 4" to 6"+.

I've kept three types of Cyno's, various mbuna, and a few peacocks - plus some Syn. petricola in a 55 without problems. The fish, however, where 3" and under - nothing was mature. I also did waterchanges every 2 - 3 days to keep the water "fresh".

With that first list, I would maybe worry about the Ps. socolofi getting a bit too big (or too aggressive) for that crowd of fish. Some people have problems with keeping Ps. demasoni and Cynotilapia species - I don't.

--------------------------------------

As for the second arrangement - I'm not experienced with Melanochromis but I think that list may have too many aggressors in there. From my past experience - Ps. socolofi can get pretty rambunctious.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The main point is that you provide them at least 1m length and the bottom of 40-50cm.
If you can provide them that space you can have all from the first list without any problem.

In one of my aq. (100cm x 43cm x 50cm) complete free to swim aquarium (complete mentioned area is for them, filter&stuff is not included in this area) I have following:

Pseudotropheus demasoni 10pcs
Pseudotropheus "neon spot" 6pcs
Pseudotropheus Saulosi 8pcs
Labidochromis Pearlmutt 7pcs
Pseudotropheus Socolofi 4pcs

And everything is working just great. I just selected two males of every species and others are females, they have enough caves and send digging area.

You just relax and put them in to the Aq.

As respectable why_spyder mentioned Ps. Socolofi CAN be a little problem but not necessarily. If other are older and biger then Ps.Soc. Male at the beginning of forming your Aq. You should not have any problems with them.

I (unfortinatly :oops: ) still don't have any Cynothilapia s o I cannot tell you much about them, but I hope I will purchase some soon. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why_spyder said:
teqvet said:
12x demasoni

6x Socolofi (Albino)

6x Cynotilapia afra

What Cyno. species are you talking about? "Afra" doesn't tell me a whole lot. The Cyno's vary in size - from mature at 4" to 6"+.

I've kept three types of Cyno's, various mbuna, and a few peacocks - plus some Syn. petricola in a 55 without problems. The fish, however, where 3" and under - nothing was mature. I also did waterchanges every 2 - 3 days to keep the water "fresh".

With that first list, I would maybe worry about the Ps. socolofi getting a bit too big (or too aggressive) for that crowd of fish. Some people have problems with keeping Ps. demasoni and Cynotilapia species - I don't.

--------------------------------------

As for the second arrangement - I'm not experienced with Melanochromis but I think that list may have too many aggressors in there. From my past experience - Ps. socolofi can get pretty rambunctious.
Blah I cut off my words.. that was supposed to be white tops/ blue reefs

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I think the Ps. demasoni/Cyno. sp. hara/Syn. petricola mix would work just fine - at least I don't have any problems with them. If you wanted another species in there - I would find something a bit smaller in mature size (and potentially less aggressive) than the Ps. socolofi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.