Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mixed tank seems to be doing great. I added some fake plants since they seem to want to eat my live ones (no big deal). I'm still waiting on my slate rocks to come in. They seem to be spreading out more now and picking areas. No one seems to be getting singled out or beaten up. Mr. Eyebiter is integrating with the other fish more now.

I noticed today one of my fish seems to have a little bit of a sunken belly. I'm not seeing any sign of parasites or anything else in the tank, no onr acting weird.... so I think he wasn't getting enough food possibly. I was feeding on the lighter side (avoiding malawi bloat) but I gave a heavier feed and watched him to make sure he ate which he did. One other fish attempted to chase him away when I first added food but they mellowed out. Hoping it's just that he didn't eat enough.

Anyway, so far it seems to be a pretty happy tank and they are starting to show more color and iridescence. I hope they will be nice and colorful when they get more comfortable and grow a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm having problem with one of my cichlids eating as well. He's not beat up at all, and no one is picking on him. He just seems to be a slow eater compared to the rest, and there is nothing slow about the rest of my fish. Is yours taking advantage of feeding time, or does it seem to be taking its time too?

·
Registered
129 Posts
So my mixed tank seems to be doing great. I added some fake plants since they seem to want to eat my live ones (no big deal). I'm still waiting on my slate rocks to come in. They seem to be spreading out more now and picking areas. No one seems to be getting singled out or beaten up. Mr. Eyebiter is integrating with the other fish more now.

I noticed today one of my fish seems to have a little bit of a sunken belly. I'm not seeing any sign of parasites or anything else in the tank, no onr acting weird.... so I think he wasn't getting enough food possibly. I was feeding on the lighter side (avoiding malawi bloat) but I gave a heavier feed and watched him to make sure he ate which he did. One other fish attempted to chase him away when I first added food but they mellowed out. Hoping it's just that he didn't eat enough.

Anyway, so far it seems to be a pretty happy tank and they are starting to show more color and iridescence. I hope they will be nice and colorful when they get more comfortable and grow a little.
Hi!😃
He's probably a little bit shy, that's all. It seems like he's sorta being bullied but he'll overcome it; I pray.
Yes, if their tummys are "sunken" then they aren't getting enough nummies to eat...awww...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So everyone was doing great. Not much aggression, tank parameters were all good. Even the eyebiter was integrated with the others. I ended up with 13 fish in my 75 gallon and they seemed happy enough all this time. Tested my water 2 days ago and levels were all good. Today after I put my son to bed I saw my fish acting weird. I noticed a dead fish in the tank (sadly it was 1 of the 3 I spent a little more money on).
Got the fish out and decided to test the water since others were acting weird. I had a HUGE nitrite spike. It was low the other day, Today was very high.
I did a 40% water change to bring the number down. I tried counting my fish and found 5 total out of the 13 that died. Im so sad.
I think I lost some BB 2 weeks ago because my canister filter stopped working (not sure how many hours). I took it apart and cleaned the impeller and it's been working good since. All I can think is I partially broke my tanks cycle when that happened. It's a fairly new tank but was cycled.
I added a bit of aquarium salt for the remaining fish. I'm hoping the rest make it. Im going to retest the water after work tomorrow and maybe do another change if needed. Fish are still acting a bit weird but seem to be better than they were a few hours ago.
If all goes well with the parameters I guess I will restock it next week. So sad to lose 5 of them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi!😃
He's probably a little bit shy, that's all. It seems like he's sorta being bullied but he'll overcome it; I pray.
Yes, if their tummys are "sunken" then they aren't getting enough nummies to eat...awww...
All bellies recovered and the eyebiter integrated with the others. Eyebiter is still alive, I lost 5 others though. :( I hate when pets die.
I felt like I should have done a water change last night but decided I was just being crazy... feel awful knowing those fish would have been ok if I did the water last night.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm having problem with one of my cichlids eating as well. He's not beat up at all, and no one is picking on him. He just seems to be a slow eater compared to the rest, and there is nothing slow about the rest of my fish. Is yours taking advantage of feeding time, or does it seem to be taking its time too?
They all love to eat. I try and make sure they all get a variety and I put a little algae wafers broken up in the tank so that they have something to munch on if they are slower. I hope yours is doing better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi!
Yeah, we know about nitrates spikes, boy, do we...it's really sad when they hit too. About a month and half ago, during the night, the day before we were going to do a water change, it hit our 75 hard!😳 omg!! We lost 13 babies!!😣😣 I was sooo angry; you know?
So now, being paranoid, I immediately decided, not again, and I do weekly water changes, even if I'm frickin feeling "lazy" because it broke my heart; you know? Geez😢😢😢😢

·
Administrator
41,836 Posts
It was a nitrite spike right? Do 2X daily water changes or as required to keep ammonia and nitrites under 1ppm until your BB can regrow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Since your tank was previously cycled it may be going through a mini-cycle, as you mentioned. I would do 60%-75% daily water changes for 3-7 days (test water each day) until the BB catch back up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advise everyone, I will be retesting all parameters and doing another water change once I get home from work today. After today I am off until Tuesday so I can watch them more closely.
They were all alive and acting more normal this morning.
I'm so sorry about your babies! I can imagine how you felt and the paranoia.

If I need to do another big water change would you add more aquarium salt? I don't frequently use it, but I'm thinking I might need to add another dose if the water needs another large change today...

·
Administrator
41,836 Posts
If you mean cichlid salt (example epsom salt rather than NaCl table salt) then you should use it only if needed to keep your pH, KH and GH stable, and if needed, use it regularly.

If you mean NaCl, I don't use it unless I have ich.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This morning all the remaining fish were alive and wanted breakfast. I came home to one fish dead (sadly my 2nd favorite one). But the rest looking good. Tested the water and nitrite was still high but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I did a 30% water change.
I will retest the water later and see where we are at.
I hope the rest make it, they are looking good and acting normal so I think they should.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the advise everyone, I will be retesting all parameters and doing another water change once I get home from work today. After today I am off until Tuesday so I can watch them more closely.
They were all alive and acting more normal this morning.
I'm so sorry about your babies! I can imagine how you felt and the paranoia.

If I need to do another big water change would you add more aquarium salt? I don't frequently use it, but I'm thinking I might need to add another dose if the water needs another large change today...
Hi!😃
Yes, if you do a large water change because salt doesn't go anywhere except when you remove the water; you see?
We use Seachem Brackish water salt in several of our aquariums every time we do water changes. It helps with sooo many issues with your babies!😃 we've not had any illness in any of our cages and I believe that it's because of the salt; you know?😃
Also, we have our The Prison tank and we use Seachem's Malawi Salt, completely in their tank and their Malawi Buff too!! Anddd, they are Black Convicts and they're thriving!😃 I'm serious! They were juveniles but we just had our first brood about 3 weeks ago!😃

1 - 14 of 14 Posts