Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Update! "Last time you'll see this" post Update!

470 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PortiaD 
#1 ·
Hello all. These are my after pictures for my new set up with stacked rock and sand. It was a really smooth transition, and I didnt loose any fish. Everyone seems much happier! Now if I could only get them to stop digging... lol I know this is normal. I find my self recovering up their buried holes daily, and then they spend the whole next day redigging it out again. At first, I was having problems with having so much current and the powerhead was causing sand to move throughout the tank. So since these pics I have turned off the powerhead for now, until the sand settles. Also, I think I should replace the filters??? Two 350 Biowheels in 55 gallon? Keep in mind that I will continue to stack the rocks higher, they are just very expensive! This is almost $170 worth of rock so next week I plan to spend another $100. How high should I stack them? Any comments or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks for everyones input throughout my transition...

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking good! :thumb:

I wouldnt even bother with the covering up of their holes, since like you said they will just keep doing it. As for the rock, did you check any landscaping places to get it cheaper?

I like to have my rock stacked as close to the water line as I can get it, but I have all Mbuna's so they prefer that. I would keep staking it along the back wall and make spots that the fish get into so they are completely out of site. Otherwise they arent really "hiding places" at all since they are still visible no matter where they go.

One other thing is that I heard to be careful of that Lava rock that it is rough enough it can injure fish if they start flashing. I have never really had that type of rock so can speak from experience there, but rather just hear-say.

Looking nice though so far!

#7 ·
yea i was told of a building materials yard that most people got theirs from, but I was told they don't really sell lava rock like this. I bought it from a couple different local fish stores. The bigger pieces were around 27 a piece, 9 and 11 for the medium size ones. Yeah i felt pretty ripped off lol

#8 ·
u were. u should have ordered lace rock or holey rock at those prices. thanks to the united states postal service trying to make more money anything under 80 lbs ships rather cheaply. take em back and get something worthy of your hard earned dollars. If your gonna go big, do it right imo :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.