Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since i've visited Cichlid forum. But i'm back to share a few photos, starting with the male Carpinte. A very personable cichlid, whether begging for food or flaring and biting the glass, he's always interacting with anyone sitting with him. He's looking rather lean, i know. Very fussy eater, refuses to accept prepared foods (really frustrating), mostly eating small morsals such as frozen bloodworms etc. He enjoys fresh shrimp/prawn yet has a strange habbit of only consuming this after lights out.

IMO, this species is one of, if not the most striking of all new world cichlid's.

Here's his territory, 40g of it. I recently changed the substrate to the off white you see here, which has somewhat taken the edge off his colour. I think i'll switch back to the natural looking stuff.

Here's some shots of the stunning little fella himself.

And a few i took a month ago of him over the darker substrate, showing much stronger colour. What's your opinion, which substrate?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Very beautiful fish ... from the pics, I would agree his blues pop more over the natural colored gravel. Excellant example ... do you know which variation he is?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Matt. I received the e-mail (my com. is playin up, so i did not want to risk you a reply.) and i must say, it read quite well. Nice work, matey. I appreciate you using one of my pictures, after all my camera and/or skills with it are nothing special. I'm still sratching my head as to why there was not anymore donations to your efforts, we all know there has been plenty of blockbuster Carpintis thrown around the net. ***Shruggs***

I appreciate the thought, Paul. But after seeing pictures/video clips of various species over black substrate posted in these forums, i can't bring myself to use it. From what i see, it won't so much as wash the fishes colours, but dull them down. Seems to darken the fishes base colour, with the rest dumbed down with it. Ya know what i'm sayin?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Very nice fish you got there. Where did you pick him up from?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.