Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody. I found this guy at the LFS in the misc. Malawi tank. I can't tell what it is exactly, but it looks pretty good. Maybe a C. afra "Metangula" or Psuedotropheus of some sort? Body and head are shaped more like my C. afra "Lions Cove" than my P. elongatus "Chewere". What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the closest thing I've seen yet Noki. It seems like the body is a little more elongated on mine, but the barring, fin & tail coloration, and head/mouth structure are all very similar. Good eye.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
nmcichlid-aholic said:
That is the closest thing I've seen yet Noki. It seems like the body is a little more elongated on mine, but the barring, fin & tail coloration, and head/mouth structure are all very similar. Good eye.
Yours is young. He will bulk up some.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK - you're right, it is very confusing. Are there any key differences that you are aware of to differentiate a Cynotilapia from a Pseudotropheus from a Metriaclima? Can you say, for example, that since it's mouth is this shape, then it is this species? Just wondering if there are any commonly accepted markers for the different species.

I still think the M. pulpican ID is the most likely, but just wondering what differentiates it from C. afra "Metangula". They look awfully similar, but perhaps that is just my untrained eye...

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts