Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I got six threatened Tanganiykan babies at a CARES presentation for a GSAS meeting. I’ve lost my info on them. It’s been about three years and they are full grown, breeding frequently and relatively happy in a 40 breeder. (See pix) i am currently setting up a 55 for them. I recently lost a female to unknown cause. I thought she might have starved while holding or possibly jumped out of the tank after a water change as I usually fill right up to the lip. I never even spotted her body and water parameters didn’t change. Can anyone identify them? The females are very plain but The male is showy with three dots on his anal fin and Red trim on the tail and dorsal. In some light the dorsal looks blue. He has two distinct black vertical bands on face and head with one through the eye. The fill is black trimmed silver. Body darker across entire top(3/4 inch) of body. A clear black stripe fro fill to tail. Thanx ahead of time. Joan

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
The centerpiece fish is a ruby green Hap for sure Yo! I know that fish from a mile away! not really that threatened. (it looks like a ruby green hap, if it's not I am going to flip lol)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If your fish are truly from Lake Tangayika (and/or surrounding rivers) we should be able to narrow it down as there are only a few cichlids of this type from lake Tanganyika (and surrounding rivers). The common type in the aquarium hobby, in the past, was Astatotilapia burtoni . Had this fish in the 1970's, but your fish is clearly not that. There is also Astatotilapia stappersii, but I don't think your fish is that either.
There is a third Haplochromine cichlid from Lake Tanganyika, that is currently undescribed and goes by the name of Haplochromis sp. "chipwa". Might be your fish, but I think we need a better picture to ID it. This is a link to what it looks like:Haplochromis sp. 'chipwa' and Haplochromis sp. 'chipwa' | Cichlid Room Companion. Though I don't find it listed on a CARES list.
If there are others of this type from lake Tanganyika, Ihave not been able to find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts